Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LSMW or Custom Z-program

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have a requirement to mass create certain business entities. To achieve the functionality, I have found a BAPI which works perfectly for me.

My confusion is whether I should create an LSMW or a custom program for mass creation. The plan is to have a spreadsheet containing the relevant data. However, I'll need to carry out certain data validations and manipulations using the LSMW / Custom program.

I would like to understand which approach shall be better: LSMW or Custom Z-program. Please provide your guidance.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the result counts.

and of course the time needed to get the result too.

you either do not know LSMW or do not know ABAP otherwise you could evaluate it yourself.

Why should one use a tool he does not know? Why should one use the unknown BAPI import method in LSMW if he gets the same results from the Batch Input import method which he knows well? 

If the goal is to get the data into the system quickly then you choose the most convenient and effective way.

If the result is finally the same then it is probably the time and invested effort that decides which tool to use, not to forget the availability of the right people.

There are certainly ABAPers who are able to write a load program more quickly than others to go through the LSMW steps.

But if you have no such ABAPers then you have to look into the options left. And even for LSMW you can have experts, thought-to-be-an-expert and beginners which could deliver the same result in quite different times.

12 REPLIES 12

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the result counts.

and of course the time needed to get the result too.

you either do not know LSMW or do not know ABAP otherwise you could evaluate it yourself.

Why should one use a tool he does not know? Why should one use the unknown BAPI import method in LSMW if he gets the same results from the Batch Input import method which he knows well? 

If the goal is to get the data into the system quickly then you choose the most convenient and effective way.

If the result is finally the same then it is probably the time and invested effort that decides which tool to use, not to forget the availability of the right people.

There are certainly ABAPers who are able to write a load program more quickly than others to go through the LSMW steps.

But if you have no such ABAPers then you have to look into the options left. And even for LSMW you can have experts, thought-to-be-an-expert and beginners which could deliver the same result in quite different times.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jurgen. I know both LSMW and how to create ABAP programs. However my intention is to gain an insight on which one is more preferred. Mass create activities are usually one-time, and thus am trying to evaluate options to provide an optimal solution. Ultimately, I know I can achieve my goal using any method.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What about dinner, what do you prefer? What car do you drive, what car do I drive? Probably something different. It is a matter of taste what is preferred by individuals. There is no golden rule that would fit all.

My colleague would do ABAP, I use LSMW. He needs to adhere to development guidelines, I am not since LSMW is a program generator. He knows the guidelines from his mind and does not bother. He has to go the long way via transport to get the programs from development to production,  I am allowed to do export/import.

He needs a functional spec, I am not. But even those rules may differ from company to company, and based on their auditors.

The advantage of LSMW is the surface, the usability, the easy mapping.

Most important is to know what the right tool is get something done in the most economical way.

LSMW is not a panacea. Sometimes you have no other option than writing an ABAP, and sometimes it is much more convenient to do 95 % with LSMW and the remaining 5% with transaction MASS as a subsequent step.

former_member194416
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Instutva I think LSMW is easier to create but harder to use, so if this mass creation will only be done once and by technical people I would go with LSMW but if it would be necessary to use it periodically and it will be used by end users than I would go for an ABAP program to provide users an easier interface.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For Mass upload initial entry , I prefer LSMW , standard functionality given by SAP for Upload, then  why there is need to go for Z program, if some operation want to be done while uploading , then we go for Z program (Regular use also)..

Thanks,

Vijay SR

nishantbansal91
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Instutva,

In LSMW we have less option to validate the data, but in program you have a lot of option's to validate the data and after processing of data you can download the log in the local file which would be helpful in future for maintaining the data.

I am technical consultant,  I would prefer to go through ABAP.

Thanks and Regards,

Nishant

0 Kudos

can you elaborate what exactly cannot be done in LSMW for validation? LSMW has the option of adding ABAP code in the field mapping, I can do all checks that I do in a normal ABAP 

0 Kudos

Hi Nishant,

Even in LSMW have error log, we have option to download the same...We find the screen shots of the screen of exact place of error in LSMW...

If there is a standard functionality in SAP then please use the same...instead of going for Z Program or any...

Regards,

Vijay SR

0 Kudos

Hi Jugren,

I mean to say that if we go for ABAP we have multiple option for handling the data.

Suppose in future we have to add some more fields for updating the record.

e.g. We have storage location field in file and we have to find the plant for the same. In this case we don't need to change the file format. we have to add one select statement and get the data.

I am taking only example I know we don't need to change the file format each time.

I don't know select statement is possible in LSMW or not. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

Nishant

0 Kudos

it is. I described it in my blog

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As an ABAPer, I much prefer when others use LSMW.

We write custom programs only when it is absolutely not feasible to use LSMW or another standard tool. These are usually some custom table updates or other funky business.

deepak_h3
Participant
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.