cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personas 2.0: transport objects also create unnecessary objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Personas experts,

I have made a personas app consisting of two flavors in a group with some users on Dev-sys (development system). Now I used the transport object feature in admin_ui tool to transport my flavors and the group to my quality system (Q-sys).

Here are some issues:

1. After the transport, I can see the flavors and the group are added in the Q-sys, but in the group setting, the system is still Dev-sys. Also in the settings of all the flavors transported, the system is also Dev-sys. Is there any way that I don't need to manually changes these to Q-sys after the transport?

2. After the transport, on the Q-sys, run tcode, SPRO, I can see a new system is added on Q-sys, but it is Dev-sys which I have to delete manually. Any idea to avoid such thing?

If there are so many manual tasks that I have to do after the tranport from admin_ui, I'd rather use Export/Import feature instead of the Transport Object feature, would this be a good idea?

Thanks.

Dong Zhu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Unfortunately those unnecessary entries linking the flavor to the originating system and the system record of said originating system will be captured in the transport request. This is how the transport generation works in 2.0

My solution to the issue usually was to manually edit the transport request and remove these unwanted entries, then still manually link the flavor to the target system after transport. I'm not aware of an automated way to change this. Or, better said, I wrote a quick-and-dirty ABAP utility which does the necessary table changes in the target system (swaps GUIDs and the like)

I think doing these manually is the safer (but somewhat slower) method.

As for using the export/import feature instead of transport: that's possible but then you have to remember that importing a flavor will assign a new GUID in the target system. If you have to change the flavor and redo the export/import, then you'd want to delete the flavor in the target system first.

So even considering the manual work, I prefer using the transport system because I like to keep the same GUID for the same flavor across the landscape.

former_member195167
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tamas,

Apologies for my laziness but I'd like to steal your code that makes necessary changes in the target system.

Could you please share it.

Thanks,

Saud.

tamas_hoznek
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Saud,

I'm not sure if it is a good idea to share the code... when I said it's quick-and-dirty, it means exactly that

Essentially all I do is look at the table /PERSOS/FLAVSYS and swap the SYSTEMID field of flavors to match the current (target) system's ID from table /PERSOS/SYSCONID.

It's safer to do such changes manually in the admin transaction.

Tamas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Given a thought that Personas  is meant as a frontend tool, it would be better to limit the settings of backend or backend programming - because that will requrie the Personas developers to be the ABAP experts too, this would be an ideal case but not most people can be. I think Personas tool should provide all needed backend controls as much as possible from frontend side. Going to backend to set special programs or functions and use them from frontend in an unusual way - is just like a hack coding, not preferrable. Just my personal opinion.

Things like screen overwrite and control ID overwrite. Why can't these be made more simple? Why do we need to enter the regular expression in the box? I'd think for user just to enter the new ID name and let the framework to exterpret with regular expression. People really don't care if the new name is made as "__COMMON__" or "__NEWID__". Such info is not needed left for user to choose.

Why can't there be some simple icons/buttons to easily fetch the screen ids or control ids on Personas UI? Just leave users different ways of collecting info may be the easiest way of making Personas tool, but creating bad user experiences for developers to use it. I see Personas has really great business values, but really not a user-friendly tool to use. 😞

Sorry to say so.

Br,

Dong

former_member195167
Participant
0 Kudos

alright, no probs

Answers (0)