Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Services 4.2 Windows 2012 Cluster Installation

former_member278879
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I am trying to Install Data Services 4.2  on a Cluster Environment with BO 4.1 We have a two node architecture with 3 servers on each node , Can you please suggest the configuration and installation steps for BODS 4.2 for be in sync with Business Objects 4.1 .

Thanks,

Naveen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

You wont be able to configure DS 4.2 with BI 4.1 as this is incompatible.

Either you will need to upgrade BO 4.1 to 4.2 SP5 or downgrade Data Services version.

Once this is done you are ready for installation on a clustered environment.

Regards

Arun Sasi

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am sorry, but your answer seems not to be correct, the BIP 4.2 doesn't even exist yet, does it?

The compatibilty matrix is in SAP Note 1740516.

But taken that into account, SAP does not recommend (anymore) to install DS and BIP on the same platform. Install the IPS on a separate server and then DS on top of it.

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for correcting me Dirk!!

Yes!! Better to install BODS on a separate server such that it has its own independent CMS

Regards

Arun Sasi

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

FYI.

BI 4.2 is planned to be released on Dec 2015

Regards

Arun Sasi

former_member278879
Participant
0 Kudos

Okay Thanks , If I take the case of both BODS 4,1 and BOBJ 4.1 what would be the approach ?

former_member198401
Active Contributor
former_member278879
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Arun , But what about BODS 4.1 Cluster Installation and combining with BOBJ 4.1 ?

Naveen

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Again, that's not possible. Please check SAP Note 1740516.

• DS 4.2 is compatible with BIP 4.1 only.
  • DS 4.1 is compatible with BIP 4.0 only.

And for each and every SP and patch level of one product there's a restricted number of SPs and patch levels of the other product it is compatible with.

And again, installation of DS and BIP on the same server is not recommended at all.

former_member198401
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naveen,

Go for IPS and install BODS on a separate server. This would make the life of BODS developers easy as there wont be any dependency on BIP CMS

Regards

Arun Sasi

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That would make everybody's life easier, even ours

Why do people ask for advice and then don't want to listen?

former_member278879
Participant
0 Kudos

You are right Dirk , But it's tougher to get everybody in the same page within a organization, Can you please let me know what would be the issues if we install BODS and BI on same cluster environment ?

Naveen

former_member187605
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are 2 major inconveniences:

1/. The incompatibility between most DS and BIP versions. Suppose an upgrade of BIP is required (because of new functionality desired, or due to a bug...), then you'll have to upgrade DS, as well, and that might just not be possible at that moment. Or vice versa, of course.

2/. Clustering DS is a tedious activity and you cannot make it fault-tolerant anyway. So why would anybody bother? Once in a cluster and one of the nodes fails, then the other one can take over, but there's no way to resume running DS jobs from the time of failure. They'll have to be started from the beginning. You can achieve exactly the same functionality with 2 independent DS servers and the DS Server Group concept.