cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raise MAI alerts from external systems by sending emails

0 Kudos

Hello community,

with the increased capabilities of solman I am thinking of leveraging its alerting (and esp the related guided resolution procedure feature). However the question is open on how to raise an alert from external for non-SAP systems, which are able to send error emails. Currently I'm seeing the following two options for such non-SAP systems and Solman:

1. Sending emails to Solman and using the new SP13 Email-to-Event Converter as inbound API.
  2. Sending the emails to PI and forwarding them to a provider web service for alert creation exposed by Solman

My questions are:

add (1): In the sales slides for SP13 it is stated that only emails send by SAP cloud applications are in scope. Is that true? Any experiences with the new tool?

add (2): Is there a MAI-alert provider service in Solman with an alert creation operation?

Or is there even another way we could create Solman MAI alerts with emails?

Thank you for your valuable feedback

Mark

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

I found some hints:

The converter uses the Exception Management and info can be found here.

A graphic overview from the release slide:

I haven't tested it but I assume that the limitation to SAP cloud error emails is only for support limitation purposes but not a hard-coded filter in the system.

There is also a provider service to push events into solman (E2EEM_DATA_COLLECTION_PUSH), but it checks for the correct related configuration and the usage seems not to be easy (not talking about being supported 🙂 ).

Any further hints highly appreciated

0 Kudos

Hello Prakhar,

thank you for your feedback.

Actually I am really looking for an option to raise MAI alerts/events via email. Not the SAP incident solution (another solution is in use) and also not by using a diagnostic agent as many of our systems are not in scope of the agents. Also the alert shall be fititing into MAI (I think MAI alerts are different from the "classical" ALM ones raised eg by FM SALERT_CREATE).

We are having solman in place and monitoring some systems but want to have a unified error notification solution for other small systems as well. Hence the idea with the email interface. The Solman alerts with their guided resolution procedures seem to be a helpful feature and furthermore we could trigger incidents in our system by use of BAdI ALERT_REACTION.

I havent found technical information about the new SP13 Email-to-Event Converter. That sounds like a candidate but seems to be restircited for SAP cloud emails only.

API-wise I found only 1 web service in solman which allows confirmation of alerts (SAP_SOLMAN_ALERT_INBOX). There are several webservices providers for the metrics but we dont want to tweak around those and I havent checked the event webservices.

Any further hints highly appreciated

Mark

PS: I debugged into one of the metric webservices providers half year ago and found that they check against the metrics metadata. It looked more complicated to "mis"use those services but maybe someone has done this and can describe the required steps.

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In addition to above.

forgot to mention you can use email to ticket feature in solman but this requires license in Solution Manager and you need to connect with SAP

Please check below link for this feature.

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SAPITSM/E-MAIL+INBOUND+CONFIGURATION-+ALM%3A+Incident+Managemen...

thanks

Prakhar

prakhar_saxena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

there are multiple ways of achieving and providing a proper solution for the scenario but need proper understading of requirements in details.

You can monitor SAP and non SAP both type of systems today with MAI(Monitoring and infrastruture)

easier to configure and deploy.

different template for deve and prod

can be integration with solman service desk or external service desk based upon requirement.

can directly triggere an email/sms from the alert

e.g. an alert in solman can create a ticket and assign to a support team within solman OR

an alert in solman can create a ticket in remedy/3rd party helpdesk

Monitoring and Alerting Infrastructure Analysis Tools - SAP Solution Manager - SAP Library

integrate with 3rd party directly from alert

Alert Consumer BAdI Interface - Technical Operations - SCN Wiki

hope this is sufficient but let us know further

thanks

Prakhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prakhar

I went through your reply and particularly intersted in "Integarting 3rd Party directly from alert though Webservice".

Do you have any more info about this? if yes, could you please share the info/expierence?

Best Regards

Satish.