Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking data models to BPMN 2.0

MountainKing
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have some data models (Conceptual and Logical) in PowerDesigner. Separately, Business Process Models are being produced in another tool (Signavio) using BPMN 2.0 notation. If possible, I would like to keep these models in sync.

The BPMN 2.0 models contain Data Objects. These are defined in PowerDesigner as follows: "Data objects represent data used in the process". Checking Wikipedia for BPMN, it says a Data Object "shows the reader which data is required or produced in an activity".

I don't have much experience of using BPMN 2.0, and I am not clear at what level a Data Object is pitched. Should the entities in the CDM or LDM drive what Data Objects you see in the BPMN 2.0 model? Or vice versa? Or do the Data Object names not necessarily have to match any entity name?

The example in PD showed a Data Object called 'Quarterly Report'.

As I understand it, a Data Object might contain more detailed information, e.g. a list of attributes, but you won't see this level of detail from looking at a BPMN diagram itself. I'm wondering whether I should be linking attribute level detail in an LDM to a Data Object, or if this is too granular.

As I said at the beginning, the BPMN models are being produced in a separate tool. I was able to import one of the models into PD (as a .bpmn file) as a test, as I was interested to see how it could be linked to a data model (perhaps using a Traceability Link). I am less interested in the mechanism for linking models, and more concerned I link the most appropriate type of data model to the BPMN model.

Thanks,

Antony

N.B. I have seen this post - - which doesn't quite answer my question (Traceability Links look like a sensible approach though). There might be another useful post on SCN which I have missed though.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Antony,

You can link entity/entity attribute with task in BPMN. You can edit current process language (bpmn 2.0) and add Extended Collections (objects from LDM, CDM etc).

After that you can add attribustes from your LDM directly to task (or other object) in BPMN.

P.S. Excuse me my bad english.

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm surprised there isn't an official way to link BPMN data thingies to data modelling thingies in PowerDesigner.

As for what to connect to, won't that depend on the purpose and level of the BPMN model? For a detailed implementation model, the data objects might relate to UML classess.