Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP_GWFND SP hub vs. backend

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi!

I apologize if this is a trivial question but I couldn’t find a document describing possible SAP_GWFND SP versions in a Gateway hub scenario in a NW 7.40 system landscape.

OSS note 037662 - describes minimal installation requirements says "SAP_UI 740: SP 0012 =(mind.)=> SAP_GWFND 740: SP 0008 =(mind.)=> SAP_BASIS 740: SP 0002"

So my questions are:

• Should SAP_GWFND SP levels in the hub and the backend should be always exactly on the same level?
  • Is it possible and reasonable to have the SAP_GWFND on a higher level in the hub? Think of SAP_GWFND >=SP9 in the hub and SAP_GWFND SP8 in the backend? Usually I prefer high SPs due to security considerations for example.
  • Is development of Fiori like Apps possible and reasonable if SAP_GWFND is on the right level in the hub but not in the backend? In this case I have serious doubts since more and Fiori features require specific Gateway features and sometimes special implementations. I would like to read it in official documentation.

Is there a note / document describing SP levels in this scenario especially for hub/backend systems especially for Fiori development and perhaps implementation of SAP Fiori Apps.

Best Regards,

Tobias

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

glensimpson
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias

I came across this SAP note the other day: http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1830198

Specifically...

"As of SAP NetWeaver Gateway 2.0 SP03, it is possible to have a higher version of SAP NetWeaver Gateway server components installed.

As of SAP NetWeaver Gateway 2.0 SP06, it is possible to have a higher version of SAP NetWeaver Gateway enabling component installed."

My interpretation of this is that once you have at least Gateway 2.0 SP6 on both the hub and backend then it doesn't matter about the relative version levels - either can be higher/lower than the other. Is that how you read it?

Regards

Glen

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, I think you are right but I will to check and reread this in detail. 

Best Regards,

Tobias

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

kammaje_cis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

• Should SAP_GWFND SP levels in the hub and the backend should be always exactly on the same level?
  • Is it possible and reasonable to have the SAP_GWFND on a higher level in the hub? Think of SAP_GWFND >=SP9 in the hub and SAP_GWFND SP8 in the backend? Usually I prefer high SPs due to security considerations for example.

Hub system can be at a higher SP level than that of backend system. But backend cannot be at greater SP than that of Hub system.

• Is development of Fiori like Apps possible and reasonable if SAP_GWFND is on the right level in the hub but not in the backend? In this case I have serious doubts since more and Fiori features require specific Gateway features and sometimes special implementations. I would like to read it in official documentation.

Each Fiori app has a prerequisite components in the "Fiori App Reference Library". That should cover any finer requirements.

Regards

Krishna

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Krishna,

Hub system can be at a higher SP level than that of backend system. But backend cannot be at greater SP than that of Hub system.

Is there a document/note describing this?

Each Fiori app has a prerequisite components in the "Fiori App Reference Library". That should cover any finer requirements.

I spoke of Fiori-like development - not implementation of SAP standard apps. But when I thinking about it should be no problem. SAP standard apps use OData services in the backend. Perhaps they have been developed at a low SAP_GW_FND SP and don't support latest OData features. But the Gateway Hub does.

Best Regards,

Tobias