Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between workflow developer and workflow administrator

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

Could you please help me to clarify the below doubts,

1 -> What is the difference between workflow administrator and developer OR Workflow developer has to take the administration responsibility. Im                  thinking two guys performs these 2 different roles. If it is correct, please explain me the roles and responsibility of them. 

2 -> What are the necessary customizations need to be done before starting the workflow modelling. I came across few threads in SCN, everyone                  talking about SWU3 only. But i found some more customizations need to be in SE16, SMQS, SWE2, SMLG, SM59. Please explain me what are            the customizations need to take before starting.  

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

I042439
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Jitendra

I will try an answer based on my experience....

Answers to question 1:

You are right to mention that Workflow Admin and Workflow Developer are two different 'Roles'. It really depends on the organization setup if they want to assign both roles to one guy or if they want two different resources for this . It also depends on how many workflows are there to be monitored and if there are regular ongoing requirements for new developments. 

In my view, if there are continuous developments ongoing for workflow and there are many workflows to be monitored, it is better to divide these two roles between two people.

Workflow Developer Roles and Responsibilities:

• Understand requirements
  • Suggest best practices
  • Develop and Configure workflow related tasks
  • Unit test
  • Support User testing, enable and handover
  • Bug fix and go live support

Workflow Admin Roles and Responsibilities:

• Responsible for the overall health of the workflow system – i.e. that workflows and supporting batch jobs operate with optimal efficiency
  • Responsible for the scheduling and execution of standard workflow batch jobs
  • Responsibility for Universal Worklist inbox administration and configuration
  • Responsibility for Email Notification of Extended Emails' configuration and scheduling
  • Responsible for the configuration of the workflow environment (i.e. non-process-specific settings for workflow such as the workflow RFC destination and workflow Event Queue)
  • Proactive correction of misdirected and orphaned workflows
  • Proactive resolution of workflows in error
  • Reactive response to reported workflow issues where Help Desk has been unable to resolve issues
  • Responsibility for producing and monitoring agreed process metrics, such as SLAs

Workflow administration activities may be split between:

• A technical administrator - responsible for overall health and troubleshooting of workflows in error
  • Business administrators - responsible for redirecting misdirected workflows in their process area

Answer to Question 2

To start developing workflows, you just need SWU3 done. Rest depends on your actual workflow requirement/development

• SWU3 for all workflows
  • SWE2 - When your workflows are event based (yes - most of them will be)
  • SWEC - When your events are change documents based
  • SCOT - email settings if you are sending emails from workflows (outside of the SAP System)
  • SMQS/SM59 - you really do not need to do anything here, these are just for monitoring and to check (out of many steps) when something goes wrong

The list can really go on and on - it all depends on the individual workflow requirements, but SWU3 is the mother transaction - this sets the Workflow Environment and without the config there, the workflow will never work.

Regards,

Modak

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

sbl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would just add to the reply from Modak that you could also check transaction SWEQADM as workflow administrator.

THe workflow administrator should for also build tools or ask for reports in order to find the agents that are not well maintained in order to prevent future issues

he would regularly check all the runtime report (may be not all) to check the workflow health

Cheers

Stephane

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you modak,

Thank you for reply.Can you suggest/send me some documents to related to workflow to get good knowledge.

Mail ID : jith.ramaraju@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

I042439
Employee
Employee

Answers (0)