cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 11G Datafiles to Oracle 12C Database?

former_member215439
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have data files of 11G oracle database. Can i use it in a system copy restore/recover it in a 12C oracle database?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Did you mean you have 11g installed?

If so you are able to perform system copy to 12c database.

Best regards,
James

former_member215439
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi James Zhang,

We have just installed the oracle 12c. we have an unexpected db shutdown yesterday i need to restore it but i have only the data files before the upgrade. by the way it's only a test server.

and can i ask another question different from the subject? i have an another server WS 2012 STD R2 with 11g. im trying to upgrade it to 12c, so i click the dbua but it was for lower version to 11g dbua only, where can i find the dbua for 11g to 12c?

Please help

thanks a lot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think it is possible, all you have to do is edit tnsnames.ora file pointing to the target release while restoring DB backup.

Give a try

Regards,

Prithviraj.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

If you restore the backup of a database from 11G to a 12c home, the database will fail to start. You will need to upgrade the database again to 12c. There is no way you can restore the datafiles of a 11G version with 12c installation.

former_member215439
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan,

Thanks

Hi All,

For a follow up question. can i use a backup which completed with error RC5? i have backup the 12c database but it was finished with error.

Thanks

Answers (0)