cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlapping number ranges

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to create vendor master with vendor number= MAKI etc (four digits )

for this to happen I need to define the number ranges = A-ZZZZ but system does not allow since it overlaps with existing number ranges.

So I defined 0A-0ZZZ. it is external number range.

the issue is vendors will get create with prefix 0 (zero). like 0MAKI.

how to get rid of prefix zero while creating vendors ?

regards

Pamela

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

VeselinaPeykova
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since A-ZZZZ is also an external number range, why don't you simply assign it to your vendor account group (provided that MAKI is not already taken)?

Regarding 0MAKI: even though that you could cheat how the vendor number appears in reports and printouts, this will be a really terrible approach. Imagine the horror when you have both MAKI and 0MAKI vendors in the system.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

'MAKI' is not four digits, it's four characters...

If certain numbers are already used by one number range then, naturally, they can't be used by another number range. This would defeat the purpose of having a number range. Vendor number is the key field in database, so it has to be unique. If certain combination of characters is allocated to one number range and you somehow "trick" the system into using it under another number range then how would this work on the database level? Wouldn't this cause some issues when the number range that is the legitimate owner of the number in question reaches the number that was "stolen" by another number range?

I'm just curious - how did you envision the result of such design?