Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save the Batch Job output in a shared folder

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Experts,

I have a typical requirement.

We have developed a report to provide data every day through a batch job. The output of the Batch Job is sent as an email to specified users. List of users are maintained in a Z table, through that it was sent.

Now client raised a concern since the storage capacity in the email is less, so he wants to save the file directly to the desktop or shared folder.

I did a small search in SCN and found, when executing the program in background, we cannot save the file in a shared folder, for this, user need to run the data in foreground. Unfortunately the particular user who needs the output do not have access to SAP PM, they have their User IDs but access to PM and related tcodes cannot be provided.

Have any one worked with this concept earlier, whether you have stored the file in a common folder ? Else do we have any other alternate way to handle this issue. New methods or ideas are most invited.

Regards

Terence

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Terence

What about sending the data to the users SAP Inbox instead of emailing the data outside of SAP?

PeteA

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the information, let me check whether they are fine with this approach.

Finally, we need to educate them to login to SAP, since these are safety users, they have portal to login their incidents. Need to check whether they will do this.

Is it not possible to send to folder ?

Regards

Terence

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Terence,

You'll be able to put it on one of the SAP Directories (via AL11), but that'll need a differnt type of training.

Try asking this question in the relevant ABAP forum.

PeteA

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Terence,

You can save the file / report locally, on network location or even in Unix (SAP Directories AL11 as Pete has mentioned) through a custom development. In your case just revisit your custom report and have the developer modify it so that you have the option to select the path and save the file locally, network location or SAP directory.

I have attached a screenshot which you can use as a reference in terms of design. I had this built at one of my client engagements. We filled in the fields (selection criteria) and saved it as a variant and then had a batch job run it. As part of this development we were creating a file which was stored either on local drive or in SAP directories accessed via AL11. After the file was created and saved in Unix we used a tool called MFT (Managed File Transfer) which would check the directory and if it saw a file in the directory it would move it to the destination system (third party system in our case) and then archive the file that was created in Unix / SAP directory. The file was given a name and was suffixed with date and time stamp, this was to ensure if MFT did not move the file we would not overwrite the old file we placed there the day before. MFT would check date and time stamp and would move the old one first before it moved the new one.

I hope this makes sense. I don’t have any technical details with me but if you discuss it with your developer he will be able to find the technical solution pretty easily. Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Cheers,

Khayyam