Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention Management on Standalone ILM Servers

former_member184544
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know

if we can perform Retention Management by installing standalone ILM Servers(Retention Warehouse) and connecting them to Live ECC Application Servers?

Is the above approach feasible ? If yes how will ECC Live data be applied with ILM Rules ?

Currently the client has planned to build ILM Dev/Quality/Prod and later plan to use them to perform retention management for existing ECC Landscape.Is it possible ?

Regards,

Vasu

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member222508
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vasu,

your approach of stand alone wouldn't be feasible as ILM rules should apply on the live data and that is possible only if you have the RM in the Live system. Idea of activating ILM in stand alone system is not a good one.

Thanks,

Bala.

former_member184544
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bala and Everyone,

Can we not use the Retention Warehouse to apply ILM Rules on archive data in a live ECC System based on what is described in this SAP Insider Article.

http://sapinsider.wispubs.com/Assets/Articles/2008/July/Supporting-Your-ILM-Needs-From-Start-To-Fini...

0 Kudos

Well, for one thing, the article you are referencing was written in 2008.  It also does not mention using the Retention Warehouse for applying retention rules to data archive ADK files.  It talks about using the snapshot functionality part of ILM and storing those files in the Retention Warehouse.  The snapshot functionality is not data archiving but rather generating a file containing data how it looks like for a particular point in time.  That data is not removed from the database.

So, the answer is no, you cannot use the Retention Warehouse to apply ILM rules to ECC ADK archive files.

Best Regards,

Karin Tillotson

0 Kudos

Hello,

I am not sure I understand your question(s) - as ILM Retention Warehouse is for retiring legacy systems (so would not be connected to a live ECC system).  ILM Retention Management is activated within your ECC system so would not be "stand alone".

Please clarify your questions.

Best Regards,

Karin Tillotson

former_member184544
Participant
0 Kudos

The client says he wants to apply ILM rules on archive files in ECC(ADKs) and does not want it on live ECC data ,would it then be possible to use this landscape if they can migrate these ADK files and SARA data into the standalone ILM ? I heard SAP has some kind of service SLO for this,they can help in moving archive files in cases like Merger of companies etc..

I have already raised my concern saying this landscape is not the right way to implement ILM but i want to know if this can be used incase they want ilm only on ADK files.

former_member222508
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vasu,

It will be a tedious task. when ILM is activated, no business would get affected. You need to select the archive objects first and make them ILM enabled for which you want to apply the rules. Even before that you apply the rules, you need to convert the ADK files to ILM files.

Yes, SAP has SLO services for archiving as well.

Thanks,

BK.

0 Kudos

Hi Vasu,

When using ILM Retention Management, you are applying retention rules to only those archive objects that you choose to.  Again, there is no ILM stand alone server.  You activate ILM via the switch framework within your ECC system.  You also have to have an ILM certified WebDAV server to store the ILM store files.  If you have already started data archiving, you can migrate/convert these ADK files into ILM store files which will now have the retention rules applied that have been configured for the archive objects you have chosen.  By activating ILM, you have not affected or applied retention rules on live ECC data.

Please review the available SAP ILM help documentation and hope it helps to explain it in more detail.

For some reason I am having issues inserting a hyperlink so will try and type out the link to the help documentation.

Best Regards,

Karin Tillotson

href='http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/b0/3f9fd868c14b5696554766234884f8/content.htm

former_member289103
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Vasu,

For the live ECC systems, ILM Retention management engine has to reside in the same system to apply retention times on archive data.

Thanks and Regards,

Dharshan A