Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why assign function module to process code? IDoc

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

In inbound and outbound interfaces, we see function module is assigned to a process code. Why?

If the SAP design would have been to directly input function module in partner profile, for inbound and outbound; instead of process code, wouldn't the processing have worked? In other words, what is the reason for linking partner profile to process code and then process code to function module?

Thanks!

TW

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jack_graus2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I guess because the process code is a functional representation of a technical object function module.

There are several settings to process code that can be maintained in the process code independently of the partner profile. A process code can be even configured to be processed without function module and by workflow task.

Regards Jack

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry to piggy-back on your discussion, but another question I always wondered about is - why do we have both process codes and function assignment in WE57? It would make sense if process code was optional in the partner profile, but it's not. Why do we need two functions in two different places?

SAP Help on this subject is truly mind-boggling, unfortunately.

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are many things that seem very redundant in the IDoc interfaces. E.g. we create partner profile for a logical system but also have to maintain distribution model. Why? All the information is already in the profile.

In addition to FM or workflow you'll find a very old 'process' option in the process code configuration. This is no longer used, but by assigning the neutral process code SAP avoids issuing the OSS notes like "hey guys, we are no longer using processes, so just go into all your profiles and change that to FM or workflow, m-kay?". I bet that would not sit well with the customers.