Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adobe Forms Overflow Header problem

mrb268
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I ran into this problem several times.

I create a document, which has several positions, where each position has multiple lines.

In addition, I create a header for these positions, where this header has also multiple lines.

-------------------

Header Line 1

Header Line 2

-------------------

Pos 1 Line 1

Pos 1 Line 2

---

Pos 2 Line 1

Pos 2 Line 2

---

Pos 3 Line 1

Pos 3 Line 2

Now I define, that this header should work as an overflow header for page breaks within the positions.

It will condense all lines within the header, if the content is set to flow layout and a page break occurs.

For conditional page breaks it just works fine, only if there are to many positions to fit on one page, it does not work.

Until now, my headers always were static, so I switched to positioned content, and it worked just fine.

In my actual form, it is fully dynamic, so lines and fields need to be hidden if empty. So I really need the content to be flow in the header.

Anyone ever had this bug before and knows a solution?

One idea for a workaround came to my mind. As I am working with 2 different master pages, I could solve the problem maybe with some scripting.

Therefore I would need to know on which masterpage or which content area the actual content is placed.

Does anyone know, how to get the name of the masterpage ot the content area in formcalc or java script?

Thanks

Marius

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jacek_kopcinski3
Explorer
0 Kudos

The thread is quite old, but if you hit the same issue, the following excerpt from Adobe LiveCycle documentation makes it quite clear :

Always set up overflow leader and trailer subforms to Positioned content and deselect the Allow Page Breaks option. Otherwise, the rendered form may contain errors such as duplicate headers or overlapping fields.

mrb268
Explorer
0 Kudos

let me try to explain it more detailed.

As an example, I created the following context.

VBAK as table and nested VBAP for each entry in VBAK

I created a Masterpage with some static fields and a Page with several subforms (same structure as the context).

Here is a view of the page. Yellow is the static area from the masterpage. The coloured fields are the Header from VBAK

The white 2 lines are the Item data from VBAP.

So for each item in VBAK, it will display the header, then all its items.

Next I added a conditional break for the VBAKDATA. So each Salesorder should start at a new page.

So far everything works perfectly.

No comes the problem.

If the items in VBAP are to much, to fit on one page, it should goto the next page and display the Header (VBAK) on top of the page again.

Therefore I defined "Overflow Leader" in the VBAPDATA item as follow.

The problem is, that when the "Header" is defined with flow content.

It will condense all fields in all subforms (Header has Subform a and b).

Here is Page 1 and 2. As you see, all the coloured fields are overlapped.

So the only workaround I found so far, is to make the Header Content positioned instead of flow.

But as mentioned earlier, my header will have flexible from 1 - 10 lines. So if there is only 1 line displayed, it will show 9 empty lines.

I hope someone has a better solution for this.

attached is the XML Source as well as the XFD.

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

I have done something similar with invoice lists that repeat invoices on the output.  Here is a sample of how I have the content organized:

ITEMFORM is bound to the table at the header level and set to repeat for each item.  From the screenshot you can see that the ITEMHEADER is set as the Overflow Leader and that subform is set as positioned.  In comparison however the ITEMFORM and ITEMDETTABLE where all the items are output are both set to flowed.  So I was able to achieve something similar by setting a positioned subform as embedded within the flowed subform that is bound to the header table.

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

mrb268
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

thanks for your answer. I tried this as well, but can't get it to work.

Can you provide some more details on your solution? Maybe I am missing something.

thanks

Marius

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

Based on your screenshot I would have the following setup/bindings:

Page1 - Flowed : $.VBAK.DATA[*]

Page1 -> VBAK - No binding

Page1 -> VBAK -> VBAKDATA - Positioned : No binding

Page1 -> VBAK -> VBAP - Flowed : $.VBAP.DATA[*]

The only thing I would suggest however is seeing if you can simplify the subform layering within the Page1 subform so that the item data is not embedded within some level of header subform, i.e. the VBAP is part of VBAK in your arrangement.  In the arrangement I have highlighted I kept those separate and have my break at what would correspond to your Page1 subform level.

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

mrb268
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

tried it, but same result. Each Conditional break works just fine, but whenever a page break occurs because of too many items, the whole header is screwed up.

I think this is a bug and I can't get the document displayed in the way I want it.

Thanks

Marius

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

Looking at your configuration it looks a little bit different than what I had for an arrangement.  I see that "Header" is an overflow leader for the "VBAPDATA" subform so if you think about what the system is doing it breaks "VBAPDATA" to the next page and then tries to squeeze "Header" into a content area on the page that is assigned for "VBAPDATA".  In the example I gave my overflow assignment was at the Page1 level without any explicit overflow assignment at the item level - it shows as inherited for the item table in the configuration.

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

mrb268
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

yes correct. And if I have the overflow "Header" set as positioned, it calculates the space needed on the next page correct, and it looks good. But if I have the overflow area "HEader" set as flowed content, the system does not calculate the space and as you said, squeezes it in.

I think it is a bug, that the needed space for flowed content is not calculated correctly.

thanks

Marius

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

Any reason your header needs to be set as flowed?  I would suspect that you only need a specific block for every header on each page and that the header could do without the flowed setting.  If you were to set that you may see that your content would overflow as you expect.

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

mrb268
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

the Header in this document consists of 2 blocks.

1st one is detailed information, which could be from 2 up to 8 lines.(depending on data)

2nd part is the header columns of the table.

The 2nd part could be positioned, no problem.

But if I set the 1st part as positioned, I always have up to 6 blank lines if only 2 lines have data.

This is a waste of space and looks terrible.

But It seems that we have to live with this solution.

Thanks

Marius

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

From your screenshots I don't see a separate part of the header that is flowed and one that is positioned - can you highlight which piece is flowed and which is positioned?  I see fields sales doc, sales org, creation date, creation time & net value.  From the screenshots you shared it seems like it could all be positioned and then line items that would be set to flowed.  Which part of that header requires the information to be flowed?

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

mrb268
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

the screenshots are just an example, which I created, to make it easy understandable. The actual document we have is much more complex. That is why I created this easy sample.

Marius

Ryan-Crosby
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

Oh ok, gotcha... in that case you may be stuck with that limitation.

Regards,

Ryan Crosby

suneel_uggina
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Marius,

Please refer the below document. I hope it will help  you..

Regards,

Suneel.Uggina