cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAE have too many holding status messages

0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I have 1 production DAE that running SAP XI7.11 + Win2k8 + oracle10g, almost every month ONCE I need to restart the whole system due to suddenly this system have many messages stuck in queues with Holding / Waiting /To be deliver status.

1) Do anyone know what could be the problem ?

2) What kind of system health check program I can install to monitor this system ?

3) Which parameters setting is affecting this scenario ?

BR.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Min Eng

For To Be Delivered messages, I'd suggest you check my blog below on how to analyse them and further prevent them from happening.

For Holding, it is related to EOIO messages. A message in holding basically indicates that a predecessor message in the same EOIO sequence is in error state and has not been resolved (either cancelled or reprocessed). On older versions of PI, error handling for EOIO needs to be done properly, otherwise the sequence numbers can get into an undetermined state. After an EOIO message in System Error state has been cancelled or reprocessed, the subsequence messages in Holding needs to be reprocessed in a timely manner. I'd suggest you check SAP Note 813993 (under section Holding) for more details on this. Further SAP Notes of interest (mentioned in the above note) regarding EOIO are 811864, 885880, 885879.

Rgds

Eng Swee

0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

Thanks for your fast replied and explanation on diff status, but for my case is very weird, after I perform re-start at our DAE server, all messages with those status will automatically execute successfully.

For holding and waiting status, I couldn't find any message with System Error inside those interfaces.

BR.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Min Eng

Yes, a restart is the most common advise given to resolve these issues and most of the time it works, which I've also mentioned in my blog. However, it's better to prevent it from happening so that you don't need to restart. My guess is you might be using a lot of File/FTP based interfaces in your DAE.

'd suggest you go through my blog and implement some of the preventive measures there. This will at least help prevent your PI system's threads from hanging indefinitely and in the long run will improve system stability.

Without having access to your system to analyse, it's a bit hard to know what is causing the Holding messages. It is possible that it is also related to the To Be Delivered messages, because hanging thread (read more in my blog) can block up the whole adapter, so it causes EO messages to go to To Be Delivered and EOIO message to Holding.

As for Waiting status, it's just an intermediate state whereby an error message is waiting for 5 mins (default) before the next automatic retry (up to 3 times) before finally going to System Error state.

A restart normally clears the hanging threads, which then normally allows everything else to be flushed out.

Rgds

Eng Swee

0 Kudos

Hi Eng Swee,

Any recommended analyze / monitoring tools for me to install at our DAE ?

BR.

engswee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Min Eng

There is no need to install anything in your DAE, as you can use the standard PI tools.

Just follow the steps listed under Prevention in my blog.

Rgds

Eng Swee