cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"User authentication failed" when connecting with Visual Administrator

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am having trouble making a connection to my local J2EE Engine using the Visual Administrator (VA).

I open the VA interface and create a new connection. The default User Name is "Administrator". I put in "localhost" for host, "50004" for port and leave the Transport Layer selection to "Default".

When I try to connect this way I get the following message:

User authentication failed

Next I went into Start|Settings|Control Panel|Users and Passwords and saw that there were several ids created by the Developer Workplace (DW) installation. The ids that I see are: j2eadm,sapadmin,sapinstall and SAPServiceJ2E

I checked all of them to see what groups they're members of and they're all at least members of "Administrators" group.

There are also 3 new groups that must have been created by the DW installation: SAP_J2E_GlobalAdmin, SAP_J2E_LocalAdmin and SAP_LocalAdmin.

The j2eadm id belonged to all 3 new sap groups so I changed its password to something I'd remember and then changed the connection to use that login.

When I tried to connect thru VA using this id and the new password I still get the "User authentication failed" error message.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

David.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

During the installation the SAPINST asks for a Administrator Password.. This password is very important.

We had kept same passwords for all userids to start with.

This helped reduce lot of confusion.

Warning: if you enter the wrong password 5 times, the userid 'Administrator' gets locked.

However there is an Emergency password recovery procedures.

Try this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/3a/4a0640d7b28f5ce10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Hope that helps

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Siddhesh,

Thanks for your quick reply. That was exactly what I was looking for.

I think part of my confusion was that the "id" wasn't really an id on my machine but an id defined in Visual Administrator.

Thanks again for your help

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are welcome david.

Regards,

Siddhesh

Answers (0)