Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is HCM a pre-requisite for PPM implementation

ashwinipingle
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to know if HCM is a pre-requisite for PPM implementation.

1) Is there a way to have PPM without HCM? We will have very few resources since this will not be an IT portfolio implementation.

2) In case there is a way to have PPM without HCM, then are we able to leverage all the PPM features or is it that some features are rendered un-usable?

3) Which document can I find this information? (e.g. Config guide, master guide, etc?)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

priyatham_kasu2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ahwini,

HCM is not a pre-requisite for PPM implementation.

Without HCM integration, you will not be able to achieve the time booking functionality of resources in CAT2 timesheet and there by no actuals will flow from ECC system into PPM system.

Can you explain in detail on how you want to use PPM ?

Configuration Guide is available via note 1411953 as PDF attachment.

Help.sap.com link is SAP Portfolio and Project Management 5.0 – SAP Help Portal Page.

Best Regards,

Priyatham

ashwinipingle
Participant
0 Kudos

I am to implement PPM for a real-estate/construction client. In resource management, prime requirement will be to look at schedules involving costly equipment like tower crane. I am assuming that SAP PPM allows to plan for equipment/machinery capacity - however did not find this mentioned in the standard documentation on help.sap.com/notes documentation,etc (or I may have missed finding it) .

I am aware that non-human resources can be set as partners in HCM and then treated like a human resource for capacity planning. But needed to know if we can do the same without HCM.

Config guide/Master guide are excellent for "how to do", I need something for "what to do" or a rough guideline for the specific industry. Is there any best practices document for PPM like we have for other core modules?

priyatham_kasu2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ashwini,

There is no such document available for PPM to the best of my knowledge.

Resources in PPM are nothing but business partners in the system.

You can create business partners in PPM system directly and use them for planning.

Business partners can be created using transaction BP.

You can also create business partners from PPM UI. For that you need to goto "Portfolio and Project Administration" and in the services section on the left hand navigation you will find "Create Resource".

Create BPs matching to the equipment and use them for scheduling in PPM projects as normal resources.

Hope this helps to achieve your requirement.

Best Regards,

Priyatham

ashwinipingle
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Priyatham. This is really a great help.

Answers (0)