Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sap Beginner- where to start???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SCN community,

I am very new to SAP and thinking of taking a step further and making a career out of SAP. I have an Indistrial Chemistry background and have >15 years of experience working as Analytical Chemist and Industrial Laboratory Manager. I have used SAP for raising purchase reqs, purchase orders, batch calculations, raw materials updates, extracting finacial reports etc.

I need guidance around where I do start my learning? Do I start with SAP beginner course? SAP Basis, SAP ABAP???

Do I need to get any certification??  very cofused, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Anju

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ABAP  and Basis are technical modules.

As mentioned,  if you have idea in purchase reqs, purchase orders, batch calculations, raw materials updates, extracting financial reports then go for SAP MM ( Material Management)module.

you will get many link for SAP MM Study.

Salil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Its better to go with the SAP MM module because you have experience in SAP MM as an user. There are many online resources to study MM.

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anju,

As others said, dont choose SAP ABAP or BASIS.

Raising PR / PO  looks related to MM module, there are much more they do in MM is the Inventory concept, have you ever looked on those perspective. You can choose MM, QM

To be Frank, market is not that much good as of now. If you do certification or recruited based on your domain experience is all related to whether you get a good offers from big companies. There are many people have done certification and struggling to get a break.

Since you have spend 15years, i am not sure how much you earn now, but entry level in SAP salary has come down due to lot of consultants in market. You can learn MM/QM from small institutes or direct in SAP. Dont ever quit your current job and search for SAP opening, wait and search until you get good offers.

Regards

Terence

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your response, very helpful. As you all suggested, before I do MM or QM module should I do any beginner course, one friend has suggested to do Integrated Business Processes course. Any advice will be great. And what about SAP HANA? Do I need any significant experience to learn SAP HANA?

Maria, unfortunately I was made redundant a year ago and do not think I will get the same position and salary any more in the same field. Hence thinking of learning new skills and starting from the beginning again.

Thanks again

Regards

Anju

0 Kudos

Hi Anju,

SAP HANA also is a Technical Course, which is more related to SAP Basis.

Have you discussed this with SAP Training team,they can advice you with the better scope based on your experience.

Regards

Terence

0 Kudos

Thanks Maria, will get in touch with SAP training team too.

Regards

Anju