cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS migration - company merger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I need your expert advise on merger projects for SAP DMS, I have written below the current scenario and what has to be achieved.

Current situation :

1. Two servers, one in old company A and other one Company B.(Server to server - they  are two different infrastructure w/o any connection till now)

2. DMS is using Kpro - content server in both companies A&B.

3. 400 Document type configured in company A, 42 Doc type configured in Company B

4. Object links - company A almost all R3 objects, Company B very few equi,mara,prps.

5. Easy DMS in both company A & B.

Client requirement :

1. Move all document type(400) from company A TO B (Server to server - they are two different Infrastructure altogether no connection established yet)

2. Move all originals for DIR from company A To B.

Please advise how should be my planning and for migration BAPI or any other mass upload for this kind of situation.

Thanks & Regards,

Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Kumar,

You can think to go for the below approach.

Step 1:Create the same document types Company A(400 Document types) in company B.

Step 2: Use external numbering for cut over and give the same number as in company A.(This may have slight difference in external numbering like( Old documents etc.

Step 3: Use BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREATE2 to upload document from company A to B with same numbering (slight difference). Give the path of server for originals.

I don't think we can merge the server,We may need to move the document from Server 1 to server 2 and use server 2 / merge the space of server 2 with server 1.

Ikndly let us know the result.

Rgds,

Nayeem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nayeem,

Thanks for your inputs,

Step 1:- for recreating the configuration(400 document type) in company B is there any automation I can use like moving all the TRs related to DMS from company A to company B

Step2 :- Use the external numbering for cut over and give the same number as in company A,

If I need to do this then my configuration fro document type has to be external numbering, but client needs internal number range, how to do this ?

Step3:- To use the BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREATE2 do we need to first download all the originals from company A server and store in some local drive and then give this local drive file path for originals ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs,

Regards,

Kumar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

Need your expert advise,

1. Can we move the TRs for DMS configuration except for Number range from company A server to Company B server instead of manually configuring 400oodd document types in company B ?

Best Regards,

Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If your system landscape accepts then you can but i could not suggest you to do so since there is will be inconsistency if document types matches in both system.

Step 2 : External number for document types with (Prefix OLD) or as per your requirement is said because the number ranges might have used in company B. You may use Number exit to generate external number as per your requirement.

Step 3: You may no need to download all document, You can go for enhancement in  BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREATE2  to pull document from company A.

Rgds,

Nayeem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nayeem,

Step 1- Yeah I agree I am thinking I will exclude those TRs and try to move data file. If this doesn't work then I should manual right, let me know if any other option.

step 3 - In one of the post in SCN I read BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREATE2 is not helpful if we need to move from one server to other as in BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREATE2 will pick file path from users local PC instead of server, please suggest.

Best Regards,

Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kumar,

As i mentioned, There you may need to go for enhancement in BAPI_DOCUMENT_CREATE2  to give the document, and its related attachment directly rather than keeping the document in desktop which may be impossible in your case.

hope you will have company A DMS number in upload file, Using which you can go for enhancement for upload attachments.

Rgds,

Nayeem.