cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC communication with PI

0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could you please help me to understand why their is no sender communication channel required when we are communication with ECC.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

aby_jose
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Bharath,

To simplify this, the 'Integration Engine' in PI can understand only 'XI-XML' msgs. It is the corresponding adapter which converts native msgs to XI-XML (ie, File adapter converts File based msgs to XML, Mail adapter converts emails to XML etc...).

Now coming back to Idoc adapter; Idocs are sending from R3 systems which already has ABAP Application sever (consists of local integration engine). Now the resultant msgs are already in a format which is understandable by the Integration engine of PI. Or in other way it is the 'local IE' of R3 system which communicates to the IE of PI. Hence no sender communication channel required for these kind of communications.

Same is the case of XI adapter as well.

Thanks & Regards,

Aby

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi All,

We use 3 kind of communication to connect ECC (i.e. IDOC,RFC,Proxy). Can someone help me what the difference between them and which scenario we use those adapter ?

Bhargavakrishna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bharath,

IDOC

We can go for IDOC when there is a asynchronous communication. IDOCs come with rich logging, error handling and workflow integration in the back end R/3 system.

Proxy

When there is a requirement for synchronous communication and entire solution needs to be implemented from scratch we can go for proxies instead of IDOC.

we can use Proxies only if the WAS version is >= 6.20.

RFC

best suited for synchronous communication from SAP R/3. by using RFC we can send the data to remote systems as well.

Note:

if the standard IDOC/ RFC is already available which will fulfil your requirement then you can go for IDOC/ RFC based on your requirement [Asynch / Synch].

If there is no standard IDOC / RFC is available all needs to be implemented from scratch then we can go for proxy instead of Z IDOC/ RFC.

Please refer the below link for your reference.

[SAP PI] – Choose the Right Adapter to integrate with SAP systems | Simon Les Flex&#03...

Regards

Bhargava Krishna

arunneerolil
Contributor
0 Kudos

Bharath,

An adapter/communication channel performs the protocol conversion from or to the native PI protocol which is  XI 3.0(say for ex: Sender -> FTP to XI 3.0 or Receiver -> XI 3.0 to FTP).

When ECC send a message to PI, it is using XI 3.0 protocol which is the native protocol in PI.

So no communication channel is required.

Also for dual stack for IDOCs also channel is not required at sender as both are abap and data is exchanged with tRFC and function modules handles the format conversions.

regards,

Arun

0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Can i know what are the function modules that handles the format conversions.