cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install Development Infrastructure on fresh NW 7.40.8.0 server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have a fresh install of NW 7.40.8.0 and unfortunately the "Development Infrastructure" was not checked during the installation process. I have searched the forum as well as Google to find out how to install this, unfortunately many of the articles I have found are 5-10 years old. Not very helpful.

If someone could point me to the correct SCA files so I can use the Software Update Manager (SUM) to install I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member188977
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, did you solve this issue?

I'm in same situation. I cannot generate the stack.xml using MOPZ without update to a new SP Level.

Regards,

IV.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Unfortunately I did not find a solution. As stated within the thread above it was suggested to perform a reinstall. At the moment that looks to be the only solution. When I have some time to revisit this I plan on performing the reinstall with the correct items checked.

Thank you,

Mike

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

The usage type DI must be also enabled on the system, so simply deploying the required SCAs (ie: CMS, CBS, DTR) is not the recommended way.

The usage type may be configured during the installation process or in NWA->Configuration Wizard.

But you have to mind that some usage types cannot reside on the same system. Please refer to PAM matrix for information about the copatibility.

Best Regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did not find any information about NWDI or DI in PAM matrix. Is it possible to install the new usage type DI to SAP NW 7.4 (Process Integration), or SAP NW Portal 7.4?

former_member189220
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Miroslav,

On EP is OK to install DI.

On PI - not at all. It is NOT recommended and even more NOT SUPPORTED by SAP!

It is required PI to be on a dedicated system. Please refer to (any version of) the Master Guide (http://service.sap.com/instguidesnw ->  SAP NetWeaver 7.3 -> Installation:

page 28,60,62:

When you plan your system landscape for building integration scenarios, consider the following aspects:

"...It is mandatory to have a dedicated PI system. This applies to development, quality, and production landscapes. ..."

If I were you I would have definitely installed DI on other server different where the PI is. Although you might think you will not use PI, only the starting of any of the PI services consumes huge resources.

Regards

Milen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for responding.

I tries to generate stack.xml using SolMan Maintanence Optimizer to Install the DI into SAP EP, but i did not see such a possibility.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

I have gone into the "Configuration Wizard" however there are no NWDI Tasks in the list. I am guessing that had I checked the "Development Infrastructure" during the initial install of NW that those Tasks (CMS, CBS, DTR) might be in there. What is the process that I would need to take in order for those Tasks to be displayed within the "Configuration Wizard"?

Thanks,
Mike

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

When you check the ComponentInfo (Note 1757810), do you see these components?

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

Unfortunately I do not see the CMS, CBS, and DTR Components in the list.

Below is what I currently have:

ADSSAP

AJAX-RUNTIME

BASETABLES

BI-WDALV

CFG_ZA

CFG_ZA_CE

CORE-TOOLS

DI_CLIENTS

ENGFACADE

ENGINEAPI

EP-BASIS-API

ESI-UI

ESP_FRAMEWORK

ESREG-BASIC

ESREG-SERVICES

FRAMEWORK

FRAMEWORK-EXT

J2EE-APPS

J2EE-FRMW

JSPM

LM-CORE

LM-CTS

LM-CTS-UI

LM-MODEL-BASE

LM-MODEL-NW

LM-SLD

LMCFG

LMCTC

LMNWABASICAPPS

LMNWABASICCOMP

LMNWABASICMBEAN

LMNWACDP

LMNWATOOLS

LMNWAUIFRMRK

MESSAGING

MII_ADMIN

MII_BUILDT

ODATA-CXF-EXT

OEE_MII

SAP-XI3RDPARTY

SAPMECORE

SAPMECTC

SAPMEINT

SAPMEINTCTC

SAPMELEGACY

SAP_BUILDT

SECURITY-EXT

SERVERCORE

SOAMONBASIC

SR-UI

SUPPORTTOOLS

UDDI

UISAPUI5_JAVA

UMEADMIN

WD-ADOBE

WD-APPS

WD-RUNTIME

WD-RUNTIME-EXT

WSRM

XMII

XMII_MIGRATION

Thanks,
Mike

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

In this case please check out the corresponding install guide:

Please go to the Service Service Marketplace ->  "Installing Additional Product Instances in an Existing SAP System" and then select the corresponding installation stack and Operating System.

In the documentation you will find a chapter called: "Installing Additional Usage Types" that need to be followed.

You will have to use the SUM tool for the procedure.

Best Regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

I am confused by your responses. I started this discussion asking for the location of the "Development Infrastructure" SCA files so that I can use the SUM tool to update them. Your first response at the top of the thread was that this is not the correct process and needs to be configured. Then your last comment is to use the SUM tool.

I hope that you can understand my confusion on your responses.

In the end I would like to know where to retrieve the correct SCA files for the "Development Infrastructure". I will then use the SUM tool to update. Then install using the configuration wizard.

I understand the process. Just need the appropriate files.

Thanks,
Mike

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

Sorry for the confusion. At first I thought we can make solve it by simply using the Configuration Wizard, but no. According to the component info the DI components are really missing.

For the SCAs please check out this location:

SMP -> Browse Catalog -> SAP NetWeaver and complementary products -> SAP NetWeaver -> SAP NETWEAVER 7.4 -> Entry by Component -> Development Infrastructure:

• DI DESIGN TIME REPOSITORY 7.40
  • DI COMPONENT BUILD SERVER 7.40
  • DI CHANGE MGMT. SERVER 7.40

and select the appropiate SP level.

Best Regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the clarification. I knew we would get there.

I did notice that these are all patches. Will a patch work on something that has not been installed? Typically patches are placed on top of an existing entity.

Thanks,
Mike

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

If you check you will see that there are 2 entries for each SP level, the "patch level 0" version and "patched" version.

Example:

DIDTR08P_1-20009996.SCAPtach for DI DESIGN TIME REPOSITORY 7.40 SP08
DIDTR08_0-20009996.SCASP08 for DI DESIGN TIME REPOSITORY 7.40

You can also notice the size of these version are similar.

The patched versions contain the whole package and not just a "code fix" that is put on an existing entity.

Since there is no dependency (in other components) specified for these SCAs you can go for the patched version right away.

Best Regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

I tried both of those files in SUM and the TargetVersionReport.html that get generated stated:
Rejected for following reasons: 004 cannot be installed and 005 it is part of SAP stack definition file.

Below is the screen shot:

Thanks,
Mike

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

The error message is complaining about the missing configuration file (stack.xml). 

The documentation I mentioned earlier has the instructions to follow (Installing Additional Usage Types (Technical Usages) in an Existing SAP System).

Best Regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

Is there anyway to create the stack.xml file without going through the process of downloading and installing Solution Manager. Did not see a way to do that in the documentation.

As you can tell I don't deal with the maintenance side of NetWeaver. Thanks for sticking with me on this. I do appreciate it!

Thanks,
Mike

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

There are alternative ways to deploy these (or any) SCAs, but the recommended and the official/supported way is to use the SUM tool. For that you will need the stack.xml. For your release it can be only generated by SolMan.

The SUM does not just blindly delpoys what you throw at it, but does dependency checks, modify certain parameters, etc. For this activity I would stick with the documentation which describes the supported way of doing it.

I know what it means in this case. (I don't think simply deploying these SCAs, using telnet, will provide a solution here.)

The error message you get is described here: 1641062. Basically all it says is you need that stack.xml.

Best Regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Peter,

Been a week and I am getting very frustrated with this process. The documentation ends up circling on itself with no true help on how to install. There should be a simple "How to install guide".

Also, it seems that the only Solution Manager that I can see in the SWPM (Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP 09) is the "SAP Solution Manager 7.1 powered by SAP HANA".

As I am not running HANA is there another way to install Solution Manager?

Thanks,
Mike

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mike,

SolMan 7.1 can be installed with DB2, MSSQL, etc. I don't know why aren't they options in your SWPM.

But installing SolMan only for this activity is a lenghty process. Isn't starting from scratch an easier way for you? (you mentioned the DI option was missed during the install process)

Best Regards,

Peter