cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PM: Using PRTs vs DIRs

0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

EHP7 upgrade came with a lot of new functionalities. Ones that I personally really like are:

1. The ability to attach documents to the Work Order header and eventually link them to the operations as well.

2. The ability to attach documents to the task list

So now when you can link a document to an operation, why do we need PRTs for?

I mean you can anyway attach a DIR to the work order header and then relate it with an operation. So, why do we need a PRT to be attached to the operation? Seems like we have two solutions to the same problem. Is one better than the other?

IMHO, if you compare the two methods, of course the DMS approach is easier. You simply go to "Additional data" tab and manage all your DIRs there (by all I mean the ones which are attached to operations and the ones which are not). This is far more easier than managing PRTs.

What do y'all think about this? Is PRT the old way and now SAP has DMS to replace the PRTs?

Thanks,

Sumer.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ameya_beri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sumer,

It seems to me that you are mixing two concepts.

DMS -> Is used to store documents, for example it can be a production drawing, which is required for assembly on the shop floor.

PRT -> Is a production resource tool, is a move able operating resource and not a document, an example can be a shared drilling machine. Also PRT is relevant for capacity planning where as DMS is not. Documents can be linked to a PRT.

DMS and PRT may be linked in the same way to task lists or production order operations, but they are different from each other

I hope I was able to clarify your query, if not please revert.

Best Regards,

Ameya B.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Thanks Ameya and Nayeemur for your valuable inputs.

I should have made it clear in my post that I was referring to only the document part of PRT vs DMS.

As Ameya said, PRT have a totally different and very important use in PM space. DMS can definitely take over the document side of PRTs but PRT is much more than just documents.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumer,

Please also check the below thread.

The functionality mentioned by you is one common future of both application but both has different functionality.

Rgds,

Nayeem.