cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Visio Models into SAP Power Designer- Relationships are not properly assigned

Former Member
0 Kudos

I imported Visio Model through Visio Add-In called "Export to PowerDesigner" but the relationships are not properly assigned to the objects. They are scattered all over the place. The original relationships in visio model are depicted clearly and assigned properly.

• Is there any way to auto align the relationships properly in PowerDesigner? OR
  • Am I doing something wrong while importing from Visio. I am trying to import it as the Model Type "Business Process Model"?

Other Question

• How do I convert Business Process Model into conceptual Model in PowerDesigner 16?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you please clarify - do you have 'relationships' in a BPM, not 'flows'?

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

There was an internal tool at one time for ORMapping to allow Visio export to PD to use specific Visio templates.  This was built for older .vss files and not .vssx. 

IMHO this needs to be added to PD fully to allow customization of the 'translation' from a Visio template of the customer's choosing to PD models.

Please log a request to allow customization of ORMapping and support of all model types with Visio -> PD, not just BPM and EAM.

Chris

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It would be great if everyone who foresees the need to import from Visio could do raise this as an enhancement request.

It needs to be configurable, so we can change the default mappings from stencil shapes to PD objects - how many of us can honestly say that we've never misused a Visio stencil?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for all your suggestions. When I import the Visio Model the Visio stencils or visio relationships, gets imported as Links in Power Designer BPM model by default. Can you please elaborate about IMHO as I am using Visio 2013. I have visio 2010 installed, but even with VS 2010 the issue remains the same.

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You have a fundamental problem, that a BPM diagram is not a data model diagram.

There are three routes you can take, all involving an Excel workbook, with a sheet for Entities a sheet for relationships, and a sheet for attributes if you have any.

1. create the spreadsheet manually, typing everything in, using copy/paste where you can
  2. create and run a Visio Shape Report (see the Review tab) - this produces a horrible report, but it does include the cardinalities of relationships, though I couldn't see a way to export details of the entities the relationships connect
  3. assuming that your BPM contains processes instead of entities, and flows instead of relationships, use the Model menu to create lists of processes and flows in the BPM. Click on the Excel button to export the content of each list to Excel, or press Ctrl/A to select all, then copy and paste into Excel

The Excel spreadsheet can then be used to create a data model with the required entities and attributes.

If you're OK with programming, I expect you could use VBA in Excel to create the spreadsheet.

I found a useful blog entry which I haven't got time to look into - blog.bvisual.net/2011/05/24/data-import-export-features-in-visio-2010

I haven't got Visio 2013, so I can't try this - if you can save Visio files as XML, you could build your own XML import into PD.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perfect!. I think that should do. I appreciate all your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shalivahana,

I have the same problem; I want to export from Visio to  PowerDesigner without using Visio Add-In. I try to involve an excel  workbook, as proposed by  George McGeachie , , but I has a problem to create BPM diagram from the excel sheet, and my problem exactly is  about creating  the links between shapes when writing a script to do that.

So if you have found a solution, can you share it?

Thank you so much.

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Here are some tips for the Excel Import.

1. If you run it from the file menu (thereby creating a new model), the diagram in the new model will have the default name and display preferences
  2. If you want to change the diagram name and display preferences BEFORE running the Excel import -
    • create the model and rename the diagram, then change Display Preferences
  3. In the Options for the Excel import, select "create symbols in active diagram"
    • when you import objects and links, they'll appear on the diagram automatically

If you add links via a script, you'll have to add the link symbols yourself.

• in the script, after you create the objects, use this line - ActiveDiagramj.CompleteLinks() - to add every link that can appear on the diagram
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sabrine,

I need to try what George recently mentioned today. However, earlier I was able to import the Visio diagram and the links using Visio Add-In into Power Designer, but the links appears to be scattered that I had to manually recreate.

Regards

Shali

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can generate from BPM Data Objects to things in a data model - see 'Data Export' on the Tools menu.

MountainKing
Explorer
0 Kudos

In response to your other question, I don't think you can - not by generating a CDM from your BPM, at least. Can you explain what you're trying to do in more detail?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply. Basically I am trying to import visio models into PowerDesigner. I am trying to do it through an Add-In or Plug-In in Visio that allows to import visio models as Business Process Model to PowerDesigner. When I successfully import it to PowerDesigner, the relationships are scattered all over the place in PowerDesigner which is not the case in the original visio model. Is there a way to properly assign the relationships in PowerDesigner or am I missing anything?

Other Question: Also can I convert a Business Process Model to Conceptual Model in PowerDesigner? If yes, how do I do that in PowerDesigner?

MountainKing
Explorer
0 Kudos

Perhaps my original answer wasn't clear. I can't answer your first question about the Visio Add-In... I haven't used it.

In response to your other question 'How do I convert Business Process Model into conceptual Model in PowerDesigner 16?' - I don't think this is possible (by trying to generate a Conceptual Data Model from your BPM). I am not clear why you would want to convert a BPM to a CDM anyway.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok thanks again for your reply. I just want to convert BPM to Conceptual, so that I can play around with the relationships in conceptual model and make them align properly which I cannot in BPM model.