cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Portal/NWDI upgrade from 7.0 to 7.4 with ESS/MSS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

We are upgrading SAP portal 7.0 to 7.4. We do have customized ESS SC's on NWDI and another track with custom WDJ SC's.

I went through several discussions + blogs + Wiki's + Notes to plan on upgrading the NWDI tracks. Here is my understanding and questions.

1. For WDJ ESS, since the new components are based on java 6, we should create new track and add new SC's (SAP_ESS 633) to it and make changes through NWDS and move through NWDI. QUESTION: This means we are discarding the old tracks by creating new ones? Is this the only that we have to make changes again using NWDS and no way we can make use of the existing SC's which is based on SAP_ESS 603?

2. For the other track that has custom WDJ, should we still create new track as the support SC's changed and just re-compile and deploy? this means we can do everything in NWDI and no need for NWDS?

Appreciate if you can confirm/correct my understanding and throw some light where i am not clear.

Thanks

Karthik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member189220
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For the sake of the safe side:

ESS 603 and ESS 633 are completely independent packages. A migration is not possible here. Hence any modification you have done on ESS 603 is specific for ESS 603 and can NOT be migrated to ESS 633 .

ESS 603 is the package for < NW7.3

ESS 633 is the package for >= NW7.3

Customiziation concerning iViews, roles, pages are part of the Business Package - hence no need to 'migrate' - as it is still the same.

All other parts can NOT be migrated, as these are two separate application packages for separate NW releases.

When you upgrade from SAP_ESS 603 to SAP_ESS 633, you need to to perform the imports of your customizations manually (copying the related DC's and merging the modifications you have done) - just as Peter & Hamendra have clearly explained.

SAP_ESS 603 and SAP_ESS 633 are completely different packages (with several code modifications, in order to run in NW 7.3.X/7.4 environments).

In general it would be better to a switch to WDA (recommendation of ESS experts).

ESS 633 is mainly a workaround if you need to upgrade your NW JAVA, without your NW ABAP.

If your EA-HR is at 605 or higher, it is really recommended to use our newer technology instead.

If you want to stay with WD JAVA, again be aware that ESS 603 and ESS 633 are completely independent packages.

Regards

Milen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Everyone. I will work on your inputs and update.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member193379
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthikeyan,

Please have a look of below docs...

SAP NW 7.3 Portal Upgrade Approach | SCN

Thanks,

Hamendra

former_member198633
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Karthik,

This guide has the high level steps. I think they tell the story properly. And this (Migrating Application Projects from SAP NetWeaver 7.0 to a Higher SAP NetWeaver Version) is also useful.

Regarding the questions:

1) Since you develop and deploy for a 7.4 portal, the old (7.0) components will not work on 7.4. These components will need to be migrated first to 7.4. The migration is done using NWDS. You have to use the built in Migration Wizard. So basically you will export your old 7.0 SCs, create new tracks and migrate to 7.4, as the guide says.

2) Since the migration procedure is done using NWDS, you cannot "do everything" in NWDI.

Best Regards,

Peter