Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check List document to be attached / Printed along with Work order

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have a particular requirement to attach different combination of check list to Equipments.

Currently we have around 4000 equipment's and for these we have 72 different check list.

Business wants to have the check list printed along with the work order, they will manually fill the records and before TECO the work order, this check list needs to be attached to work order again for history.

Re-attaching the document, will impact the storage, performance etc

1.  First thought is DMS, but after completing the document user wants to add the document to the work order, which will become complicate and one need to take responsibility to add those documents.

2. Attach document directly to equipment and on creation of work order, this will be assigned and printed. But re-attaching will be a big issue again.

3. Custom development with different fields and check list, let them save in SAP and it gets recorded in work order. On print this can be printed, but the entries filled by them is saved.

Kindly provide the practice we have on this scenario, also it will be helpful if you share related work exp on this part.

Regards

Terence

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Terence,

At one of my previous engagements we had a similar requirement, the way we ended up addressing it was to have the check list created as long text on the equipment. When the work order was raised against the equipment and the shop paper was being printed the last page of the shop paper will pull in the long text of the equipment which contained the check list. The technician / engineer will complete the check list and will have it scanned and uploaded to an external document repository with order number being the document name uploaded to the document repository. The solution was ok but creating the checklist as long text was a little ‘fiddly’ as the formatting would go off and so on. Given the volume of documents which were planned to be uploaded we decided to use an external document management system to ensure no system performance impact in SAP and came up with a naming convention to easily identify the documents in the external document management system. We could have created a hyperlink to the document from GOS toolbar but there were some firewall issues so it was put aside to be looked into at a later date, alternatively the reference from document management system i.e. a URL could be pasted in the long text of the maintenance order pointing to the completed check list.

Given time and budget constraints we ended up with this solution but the original solution I came up with was a little more sophisticated and required more development work. Perhaps you can look into my original solution and see if it will work for you.

• Create the check list as a document (CV01N) and link it to the equipment, this would be the master template check list, a PDF file. In your case you will have 72 different check lists and only one will be relevant for a given equipment or you can just have it as a hyperlink to an external source. If you don’t want to go down the DMS route then utilise Classification functionality. For the equipment have a characteristic with 72 possible values, each value indicating the unique documents name i.e. your equipment check list. When the equipment is being created / maintained the characteristic value for the relevant check list document is selected.
    • If going with the classification approach then upload the 72 check list template documents on an external document repository. You will need to create a custom table where you will maintain the 72 characteristic values i.e. document names and a field to store the path to the document on the external document management system.
  • When the shop paper is being printed, check if the order is at equipment level if so, print the linked document if it exists. If stored in DMS it will print easily, if on external source and you have a URL then it is a little tricky.
  • If you go with classification approach then check the characteristic value, refer to your custom table, get the URL to the document (check list) and then print it off when you print the shop paper.
  • The technician / engineer completes the printed checklist document and uploads to an external document management system with a meaningful name, i.e. maintenance order number. The URL can then be copied and pasted in Order long text as a future reference or created as an attachment through GOS functionality, the files size for URL reference is very small when created as an attachment.

Not sure if this will help. If you do decide to utilise some of this solution then give me a shout as I have a couple of more ideas which can make the process a little more efficient such as Bar Code being printed on the shop paper and so on.

Cheers,

Khayyam

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for this excellent post Khayyam - very useful.

Terence:

Based on Khayyam's suggestions above, it would also be possible to create a class for each check-list. The class or classes could then be assigned to the equipemnt.

The shop papers could be adapted to read these specific "check-list" classes on the equipment and print them on the shop papers (complete with characteristic values as the answers if required).

PeteA

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Pete and Khayyam,

This looks good, let me develop it in my system and see how it goes. Will come back soon

Regards

Terence

S0016576034
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Terence,

I have a similar requirement, please let me know if you developed a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Jorge

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jorge,

Well, finally we ended up going to custom development.

1. We have developed two new transactions

2. One transaction to store Master Check List data which will be unique for combinations Check List number / Maintenance Strategy / Packages

3. Second transaction we developed to link Equipment and Check List number.

4. When the Preventive Maintenance order is called, we made an enhancement to call the check list by comparing the package for which order is generated and Master check list, which in turn will populate the check list in the order.

5. Check list will be populated after releasing the order.

6. User needs to complete the Check list before the order is TECO, else system will not allow.

7. Gave an option to users to print the check list (along with work order shop paper also individually) and update the check list online.

8. The responsibility of the supervisor to fill the check list in the work order and to ensure its completed, then TECO the orders.

9. The datas stored in the check list are used for KPI reporting

We were insisting business to go for characteristics / inspection, but they are not ready, so we built it by own.

Regards

Terence

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

S0022314014
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria

One possible option might be the following:

- Create checklists as Measurement Points and Create Measurement Entry Lists for each Equipment.

-Group & Classify Measurement Entry Lists by using a Z-Table. (assuming different sets of checklists will be used for different cases).

-Use the group number in Task List Operation Custom Field.

-When printing the shop papers, go and find the corresponding measurement points and list them in the shop paper...

Another option might be the following if there is only one check list of each Equipment:

- Use a specific Meas. Pointy Category for checklists.

-Use a specific indicator in the Task List operations for the Check List relevant operations (even a copy of Ctrl Key can be used I guess)

- When printing, go and find ALL of the relevant Measurement Points for the Equipment.

-They can still attach this as a document... but...attaching the results as document will not allow searching the values, running any statistical checks, trends analysis etc. Therefore they may think entering the results again as measurement documents.

And as part of the std time confirmation, user may always list the measurement points for the equipment and enter values against them.

Cheers

Savas

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Terence

Why not use CA10/SO10 standard texts and "nest" them to include your check-list.

Then assign these texts to the operation(s) via the standard text key.

PeteA

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

At the outset, attaching the manually completed document to the GOS toolbar of the Order seems to be an easy option to me. Then I wonder, if it is the answer, how you'd miss it ?

Regards

KJogeswaraRao

MTerence
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sir,

Hopefully GOS will impact the storage part, am i right? That's the reason i didn't count it for the option .

Any other suggestion ?

Regards

Terence

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, If you do not want the Storage unchanged, then there won't be other options but to having the checklists in the form of Longtext and editing the same by the user to record the remarks, which they are opting to do manually on the print outs.

Possible that I'm not fully getting the issue. Wish other friends participate.

Regards

KJogeswaraRao