Batch Split Incorrectly?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a problem with Batch Split.

Current inventory for raw material A:

BatchQuantity
000000000120 KG
000000000230 KG

An order that requires 40 KG of material A was created and released.

Under normal scenarios, the material will be split in such a way whereby the header batch will have 0 requirement quantity and the split batches will have non-zero requirement quantities that the total equals to the required quantity for the order as shown in the table below:

ComponentReqmt QtyUnitBatchBatch KeyCommitted Quantity
A0KG10
A20KG0000000001220
A20KG0000000002220

However, in some of my orders, the requirement quantity for the header batch is non-zero and this caused confusion for warehouse because the header batch line without a batch assigned got printed out in the pick list. For example:

A10KG110
A20KG0000000001220
A10KG0000000002210

I have checked in the system and found that out of a total of about 5000+ split batches, only 36 had this problem.

How did the header batch end up getting a non zero requirement quantity?

I tried to replicate but is not able to as the system will be able to split the batch properly.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Today, I am getting another similar problem again.

But I think I was having the wrong assumption that the system was splitting the batches incorrectly.

In the example today, the 281.146 KG for batch key 1 means that there is still open quantity for material 999002738 to be assigned.

In that case, how come there is no Missing Parts error and as a result, the order could be released.

kiran_kumar179
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Kwang Hongchang,

Did you double check the Order availability check control settings in OPJK for business transactions 1 and 2?

BR
KK

Former Member
0 Kudos

I partially understood what was going on.

The order was to start on the 23rd Oct.

At the time when my user raised this question to me, there was not enough on-hand stock to cover all the requirements quantity for 999002738. There is a shortage of 281.146KG.

However, when I go to CO09 to see, there is an production order to produce 120,000KG of 999002738 to be completed on 22nd Oct. At the same time, in both CO09 and MD04, I could see this 281.146KG was committed but just no batch assigned. This explains why there was no missing parts error and the order could be released. The system has committed the 281.146KG using the future 120,000KG that would be ready by 22nd Oct.

What I do not understand is, since the system can commit the 281.146KG using the future 120,000KG, why couldn't it assign the batch as well? When a production order is created, in our system, the batch number under goods receipt tab will automatically be given based on running number.

kiran_kumar179
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
What I do not understand is, since the system can commit the 281.146KG using the future 120,000KG, why couldn't it assign the batch as well? When a production order is created, in our system, the batch number under goods receipt tab will automatically be given based on running number.

As far as I know this the standard behavior of the system unless you do confirm your order and goods receipt is done to post the stock to new batch system would not be able to assign the batch number where as during ATP check based on checking control settings in OVZ9 we had the provision to include the future production orders to taken in to consideration.

BR
KK

Former Member
0 Kudos

KK, you are right.

I tried and found that unless I do a goods receipt for the order that is producing the raw material, the system will not assign that batch though it can commit the quantity.

I used to think that since a batch number is given once an order is saved, that means system will be able to assign that batch number provided my settings in OVZ9 includes all production orders; like in this case.

I guess I can close this question. Thank you all for your inputs.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just a quick question.

The other day I was playing around with some batch search strategy settings in QA and my order could not perform batch determination automatically. Normally it should according to our settings and I know why it did not.

Anyway, when I release the order, it gives an error saying 'You must enter the batch for material xxxx...'

My question is, why in my original problem, I can release order but system did not prompt this message?

kiran_kumar179
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anyway, when I release the order, it gives an error saying 'You must enter the batch for material xxxx..

This could be because in those materials MRP view under batch entry field you might have selected batch entry during order release please check and revert.

BR
KK

Former Member
0 Kudos

We all use '3 - automatic batch determination upon release of order' for all our materials. And it works fine in Production system, meaning automatic batch determination.

In Production system, we only use Status of Batch for Batch Selection Criteria.

In QA system, I added Expiration Date, Shelf Life to the Selection Criteria.

First of all, strange thing happened whereby the Expiration Date from the batch was not copied over.

That means when I display determination for the component in the order, under characteristic sort, it shows '? | Batch'.

I had go to MSC2N and save (without making any changes), then it will kind of trigger the update and display correctly like '12.12.2015 | Batch'.

And due to this, the batch cannot get determined automatically. Once I did the 'trigger', it can auto determine.

Anyway, my question is, since in this scenario, the system can prompt me that I need to assign a batch before I can release, why couldn't it do the same for the above case although you mentioned that it is standard behavior to commit using an order still in progress, not GR and system will not assign a batch.

Now, user is requesting for a custom manual prompt using BADI.

kiran_kumar179
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That means when I display determination for the component in the order, under characteristic sort, it shows '? | Batch'.

I had go to MSC2N and save (without making any changes), then it will kind of trigger the update and display correctly like '12.12.2015 | Batch'

Did you assign the batch characteristics to the class before batch is created?

Did you maintain the Total shelf life in Plant data storage 1 view?

Did you created batch search strategy with background based on Batch shelf life in COB1/COB2?

BR
KK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, batch characteristics were created.

Yes, maintained shelf life.

Selection criteria was based on expiry date and batch status.

This only happens for existing batch. When I do a GR via MIGO, the expiry date can be updated automatically. For existing batch, not sure what was done, but I had to go to MSC2N to make some changes and save to trigger the update.

rupesh_brahmankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

In scheduling profile OPKP there is field  Always Create Batch Split

If you select this indicator the system always generates a batch split record in the production order for each batch that is found, even if only one batch is found.

If you do not select the indicator the system behaves as before, in other words, the batch number is entered directly into the reservation record.

Please refer modification from OSS note  845510 - Batch split with missing availability

Best Regards,

R.Brahmankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brahmankar,

I have attached the screenshot of the scheduling profile. The Always Batch Split check box is not checked.

Actually, when there is a batch in inventory that can fulfill the component requirement quantity, there will not be batch split.

For example if the order requires 20 KG of material B as well, then

MaterialBatchQuantity
A000000000120 KG
A000000000230 KG
B000000000650 KG
B000000000750 KG

A0KG10
A20KG0000000001220
A20KG0000000002220
B20KG0000000006X20

rupesh_brahmankar3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

You need to develop new form for pick list and exclude the bathes of non zero requirement quantity from printing. Assign this pick list in OPK8 to Lk01.

Please check this with your technical person.

Refer SAP note  useful information on production order printing.

11104 - PPPR: General note on printing production orders

Best Regards,

R.Brahmankar