cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAD printer shortnames.

0 Kudos

Hello All

Could you please let me know how shortnames are generated automatically while creating printers in SPAD.]

Actually I have a problem that while creating printers from SPAD,it is automatically picking the existing shortname.

Please let me know how it can be avoided.

Thanks

KarthiK

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Laszlo_B
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Karthik,

to directly answer your question: Function Module RSPO_BUILD_DEVICE_KEY is responsible for automatically creating the short name of an Output Device.

However, based on your description it seems there is an inconsistency between the printer tables. RSPO_BUILD_DEVICE_KEY was not built to handle such inconsistencies - in fact there are no Reports which would handle them. (Such a solution would be most likely the deletion of the incorrect Output Device-entries, which would cause "sudden disappearance" of some Output Devices.)

Therefore the solution here is that the Basis Administrator needs to go through the printer tables and check

• what the inconsistent entries are
  • what can be done with the inconsistent entries.

(The most easiest solution would be to delete all of the inconsistent entries, then rebuild the Output Devices which have been destroyed in this procedure - however, its feasability needs to be seriously considered, especially not to cause any additional inconsistencies.)

Best regards,

Laszlo

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member199290
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik:

System generally picks up a short name automatically if not entered manually but you can also specify by keying in the short name of your choice in the field Short name.

0 Kudos

Hello Mandeep/Sriram

Thanks for the quick replies.

While creating the printers in SPAD,we are not manually keying in shortnames as we have not defined any series for the same.We want SPAD to automatically generate unique shortname which is not happening at present.Could you please suggest if there are additional settings to be made for SPAD to generate unique shortnames.

Thanks in advance

KarthiK

former_member199290
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik:

If you are not keying in the short name then system picks mostly unique short name.

Just curious can you please tell me what are the contents of table TSP03L/D in your system? Do you see duplicate entries under short name?

Please let us know.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Kindly refer the SCN wiki link to create the simple output device in SAP system. We have more then 500 + print devices in our production ECC system, Short name we are referring in the application for security reason.

How to Configure Printer in SAP - Basis Corner - SCN Wiki

Regards

SS

0 Kudos

Hello Mandeep

In TSP03D,I could see duplicate entries.

Normally SPAD  automatically picks up unique shortname and also it will not allow to create printers with existing shortnames.

So I was in doubt if there are any additional settings to make it work.

Thanks

KarthiK

former_member199290
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik:

There are no additional settings for this.How are you creating your devices - by keying the information manually in t-code SPAD or you are trying to do it programatically?

0 Kudos

Hello Mandeep/Laszlo

Thanks for the replies.

Here are my findings.

1.When I try to create a printer A from SPAD,without specifying shortname,SPAD automatically picks a shortname say"XYXY" and is successfully created.

2.But now there is already a printer B existing with the the same shortname "XYXY".

So I deleted the recently created printer A.

3.I just made some changes to printer B definition and "Reactivated" the same.

4.Now again when I create Printer A,it is picking a differnet shortname(Not "XYXY") but unfortunately even this already exists.

So I think there is some problem with printers at table level and all of them has to reactivated.

But as we have around 3000 printers manually reactivating would be impossible.

So could you please suggest if there is any around.

P.S: Recently there was printer data migrated from old to new system.Are there any additional steps like activating printers after that.

Thanks

KarthiK

former_member199290
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik:

Where is the source of device data that you migrated into SAP? What method did you use to migrate from source to target?

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik

In transaction SPAD, Short names are get created Manually (not on automatically ) while creating the SAP output devices for any SAP printing methods.

You can keep the serial number of short names, same link how you are maintaining the Printer device names

Are you getting any error message?

Regards

SS