cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on handling complex conditions in graphical mappings in PI

0 Kudos

Hello PI Gurus

We have a requirement that needs lot of complex business decisions to be handled in our interfaces.

Please see the attached jpeg file which gives an example.

Is it okay to do these kind of mappings in PI even though it has the capability?

Or is it advisable to have simple mappings in PI and handle all these complex things on the application side?

The issue that we are worried is the maintenance of these mappings in future. If there will be a need, trouble shooting may become nightmare.

So just want to make sure that what we are doing is an industry norm.

Any expert comments or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ram

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member378318
Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree with Vinay this looks like it could be handled with a UDF. As it stands it is difficult to follow and a maintenance and debugging nightmare. Keep it simple, if there is the possibility to do the complicated stuff in either the sender or receiver then why not.

RaghuVamseedhar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ram,

Simplify the mapping using FixedValues. Remove all those equalS conditions.

Reference:

vinaymittal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

This mapping would have been best handled in an UDF making it easier to understand/maintain etc. There is no problem in handling such mappings on the application side, but we don't do that

1) If you have complex mappings you get more billability

2) If there is a defect/CR you get more hours...

etc etc.... jokes apart..... That's what PI is for so ECC/ABAP normally doesn't accept such complex mapping transformations at there end... these are better handled in PI maybe by a udf

regards

Vinay

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

From my own experience i try to take an inter-medium solution. Sometimes i develop the ABAP code on the scenarios with an ECC included and i try to reduce  the mapping complexity on PI but i don't leave all the responsibility on the third applications. You can evaluate if the map can occurs in more scenarios or not, to help to take the decision.

In you specific case i have seen that you compare a lot of values with constants to map another constant value. In PI you can use the value-mapping option (Value mapping - Process Integration - SCN Wiki) to reduce this complexity.

Regards.

pvishnuvardan_reddy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

PI is a integration broker which integrates two systems for the exchange of information.

Most of the times, we prefer to handle the complex logic in the ABAP end(ECC) itself.

Yes, I agree with you, if any issue comes for the complex mapping in PI, it becomes tedious to find the root cause.