cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to add a calculated measure to chart?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Colleagues,

I am fairly new to Design Studio and currently working on a version 1.5.

I have requirement where I need to use 2 Bex queries (different BW info providers) as data source for my application and consume the data coming from two data sources into two waterfall charts. This start is fine. However, now I need to create a measure dynamically which would be the difference of a measure available in both the Bex queries. eg. Net Sales. This measure must be included into one of the chart as well.

At the moment, I see that there is no possibility to merge data sources, and also the chart component only accepts Data source for binding.

I searched through SCN for any help from existing content and there is explained for possibility to create custom data sources using SDK, but at this moment I am not allowed to use SDK.And I did not come across any posts which suggest a similar possibility using the normal features.

I am able to derive the calculated measure, but I am stuck at how to include this into the chart. Is this even possible?

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sudarshan,

Even if you can derive the calculated measure value via scripting, there is no way to update the standard charts with such a calculated value since the charts are directly assigned to a data source.  The best approach for achieving the desired result is to merge the data in the backend and create a calculated measure in the query itself.

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa,

Thank you for suggestion. Well I did analyse this possibility, but as I said the queries are from two different BW multi providers and there is no scope to join them as it would be a modelling change.

I also explored the option via a Universe, but I believe its not possible to create using BEx queries since there is a direct connection possible in Design Studio.

Not sure if there are any other alternatives.

Thanks.

Regards,

Sudarshan

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I cannot think of anything other than a modelling change either.  Mustafa gave a good answer.

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sudarshan,

The approach documented in the blog Design Studio SDK: Result Set Mixer Component describes how you can merge two queries in the front-end but I'm not sure if you can then add a calculated measure based on the two.  You can have a read and try it out.

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mustafa,

This is really helpful for future requirement. But as this is an SDK, it would not be suitable for my present issue. But this is a good case to request for use of SDK components.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,

Sudarshan

MustafaBensan
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sudarshan,

No problems.  In that case, I don't see any alternative to updating the backend modelling to achieve your requirement.

Regards,

Mustafa.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you do get access to use the community SDK components, you can use Mike Howles Bring Your Own Datasource to achieve this as highlighted here: