cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Enquiries on SUP SMP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have some questions on SMP 3.0. I'm trying to build a mobile application with SMP 3.0 SDK, Kapsel SDK, & SUP server.

1. How will the architecture look like?
Is it correct that, the SUP server will contains the SMP and the mobile app developed in Cordova will need SMP 3.0 SDK and Kapsel SDK to communicate with the SUP server via OData protocol?
Is SAP Netweaver Gateway required?

Are the codes that the developer need to write in the SUP server written in Java and the developer needs to use Eclipse?

And are the codes for in the mobile app written in Javascript with Cordova?

Is there any other component that should be included?

2. What licenses do I need to make it run in production? SUP Server Licence? SMP 3.0 SDK license?

3. Where can I find information on SMP 3.0 License Cost?

4. What OData version is supported by SDK?

5. Is name SUP and SMP used interchangeably?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Mark

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Kevin_SAP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Mark,

I'll try to answer some of these questions:

1. How will the architecture look like?

See question #5 answer.

Is it correct that, the SUP server will contains the SMP and the mobile app developed in Cordova will need SMP 3.0 SDK and Kapsel SDK to communicate with the SUP server via OData protocol?

Yes, Kapsel SDK though is included in SMP SDK.  There is a great document here for Kapsel .

Is SAP Netweaver Gateway required? No.

Are the codes that the developer need to write in the SUP server written in Java and the developer needs to use Eclipse?

For Kapsel, Eclipse is not needed, but if coding for the Android Platform, you could use Eclipse if you want too although there are commend line tools for building the .apk.

And are the codes for in the mobile app written in Javascript with Cordova?

Yes, see the Kapsel link above.

Is there any other component that should be included?

2. What licenses do I need to make it run in production? SUP Server Licence? SMP 3.0 SDK license?

I'm technical, but you would need a SMP license to build production apps.

3. Where can I find information on SMP 3.0 License Cost?

Call your account manager or SAP sales.  There are also links off the product page at sap.com.

4. What OData version is supported by SDK?

https://apps.support.sap.com/sap/support/pam?hash=pvnr%3D67838200100900006835%26pt%3Dg%257Cd

Although, Offline only supports v2.

5. Is name SUP and SMP used interchangeably?

SUP is Sybase Unwired Platform and refers to an older version of the product 2.2.x and below.  SAP Mobile Platform is the name for the 2.3.x and 3.0 product and above.  SMP 3.0 is a bit different than 2.3, but also includes an updated 2.3 server (MBO runtime) which is referred to as 'Sidecar'.  Kapsel though is used with 'Maincar' in SMP 3.0 which is the OSGI container and Integration gateway.  You can search for architecture info on SCN, but here is a good start http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f098da11-f3e7-3110-34bd-91aefa842....  There are several links on the lower left of the mobility page that are helpful .  Direct link to SMP 3.x .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Kelvin. I have some other questions.

I just realised that I need to work on SMP 2.3, instead of 3.0.

I found the following links on how to configure SMP3 with SOAP & REST data source.

1. Are there tutorials to configure SMP 2.3 with SOAP & REST data source?

2. And how difficult (complicated) is HWC approach compared to Kapsel SDK?
Is there tutorial similar to Logon & Push plugins in Kapsel SDK for HWC.

3. Does HWC works well with OData? Or do I need to use HWC with MBO?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Mark

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please mark Kevin's response with Correct Answer and open new threads for your follow on questions. 

Remember new question, new Discussion. 

This thread is now locked.

Regards, Mike (Moderator)

SAP Technology RIG

Answers (0)