cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting on portfolio item "custom long text" fields

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

With PPM 5.0 came the possibility to easily add (on a specific tab) customer long-text fields for portfolio items,  So far so good - but with data entered in these fields comes also the requirements to be able to report on the same. As far as I understand no standard option cover that.

Best would have been if it was possible to make the selected long-text fields available in the item dashboard.  This is however not available via the normal "define fields for dashboards" as far as I can see.

Is there a way of anyhow making selected long text fields available for the item dashboard?  BADI?

If not - another solution is needed. Googling on this I found two threads which touch upon this and points to two options

1) In http://scn.sap.com/thread/3529475 => use of method cl_rpm_entity_services=>get_long_text_rpm via se24

2) In http://scn.sap.com/thread/3692642 => use of function module "read_text

How to use these options in practice?   I assume one idea could be create a custom report that is linked to a custom icon and that the selection then comes from the user marking the rows the report should cover.

Experiences / suggestions?

Best regards / Anders

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mariano_sabiche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Anders;

I have the solution for you. You can put some Z fields into /RPM/ITEM_D and copy the values of the long text with an ABAP Progrem into those Z fields. So with this, you can view those fields in your Portfolio Item Dashboard.

Tell me if you need more details,

Bets regards,

Mariano

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mariano.

We tried to a create a Z field with data type String and wrote an ABAP program (intended to be scheduled as a batch job) to populate this field.

When we try to open the portfolio item details, there is a short dump due to the String datatype for the new Z-field.

Are we correct in assuming that you intended the Z-field to be defined as "String"`?  Have you tried this  before or is it a suggestion?

Thanks for the input / Anders

mariano_sabiche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Anders;

The error that are you facing it's a value for the new z-field, because maybe the user types some special symbol into the new string field.

In large text field you can insert those special symbols, but the string doesn't permit, so does it is the error.

You can face this error when the batch it's running or when you open the portfolio item.

I suggest that you make a control to check the value that users type into those large fields, or convert those values.

Best regards,

Mariano

Answers (0)