Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of deleting catalog code groups and codes

ritesh_kumar12
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

We have a requirement of deleting catalog group and codes associated with it which we will do using QPCD table (QS41 tcode) ,but some business transactions(notifications and service orders) have already used these code groups .

Is there any impact of deleting the code groups on those transations.If yes kindly suggest ways to prevent possible impact.

Thanks and regards

Ritesh Kumar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member190267
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

Note 486733 explains the concept of deletion of code groups and codes. When 'deleted' the codes remain on the system but are marked 'inactive'.

This ensures that if the codes have been referenced in a notification the text related to the code is still available.

Natália

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ritesh, we faced more or less the same problem in our company some time ago.

We just decide to follow a different approach by setting specific catalog codes as "deactivated" via customer exit QQMA0014 (for q-notifications) and a hard code (parameter) table. With some logic we were able to leave the catalogs fully consistent for history purposes. Also the catalog codes could be deactivated (means users could not use the code anymore) based upon a validity date via hard code table parameter.

Hope it helps!

Cheers, Julio.

former_member185450
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

As per my knowledge once you use the catalog code groups in any notification then system will not allow you to delete those code groups permanently i.e. codes are linked to code groups hence code group can't be deleted. the codes which is under code group can be able to delete or add

system will allow you to make the deletion flag instead of released along with TR at code group level.

if you transport that TR to Production server then the old code groups and codes will not show in the selection.

in future when ever you want again you can change the status from deletion flag to released

Regards,

Venkatesh..

nitin_jinagal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Apparently, deletion of codes and code group is not recommended.

Further, there shouldn't be any impact on the existing notifications and service orders. However, you might face issues while editing them using the same codes.

ntn

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will not be able to delete the codes once they are used in any notifications. So there is no impact virtually!

Anand

jogeswararao_kavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm afraid this statement is not correct. It happened several times with me. Deleting a Code or Code group does not occur in the same client where we Create Notifications. It takes place in Configuration client and is transported to the client where they are used in Notifications.

@Ritesh

Please note the following facts experienced earlier and cross-checked now again.

• You can freely delete the codes in Golden Master (those codes earlier transported and used in Notifications in other clients including PRD).
  • When such thing happens, then see the pictures Before and After deletion.

Before Codes Deletion

After Codes deletion

So the Code texts disappear. If you re-create the same codes under the same Code Group and transport the work, then the Descriptions (may be new descriptions) will appear/reappear.

It is the same case when you delete the entire CodeGroup (along with Codes).

Regards

KJogeswaraRao

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jogeswara, that's the new addition to my repository! Thanks for correcting. I however have some questions,

1. If I click on usage indicator against the code in QS41 it states that -  This indicator is set, if this data record is referenced by another application and therefore cannot be deleted.
  2. The scenario you mentioned is correct. We create code groups and codes in development client and then they are transported to production server.
  3. I wonder how above statement stands incorrect when we do these transports? Whether these transports hit directly at the table levels?
  4. I am sorry but I never tried deleting codes in such a way, as I have always been under impression that system would throw error message! I was wrong probably.
  5. So if we delete the codes or entire code group in development client and transport the same to production, do you mean the same code will not appear in F4 menu while doing defect recording in notification? Or it will appear without any description? If they still continue to appear without any description that means they are not deleted from the database.

Anand

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The reason this can happen is that the text descriptions are kept in a separate text table since they can be made language independent.  And for some strange reason, maybe you might want to delete/change a particular language translation without deleting the code.

The flag that indicates the code has been used is in the main table, not the text table.

So when the transport comes in, the text descriptions are wiped out, (as reported by Emerald

anand_rao3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Craig, exactly! I am also of the same opinion as you said for the part that, the SAP checks still prevent the actual code from being deleted. So I had asked the same question in my earlier post that_

if we delete the codes or entire code group in development client and transport the same to production, do you mean the same code will not appear in F4 menu while doing defect recording in notification?  If they still continue to appear without any description that means they are not deleted from the database.

Thank you for your participation in the discussion! I want to understand this further in detail as I never transported any request for QS41 in to production server for such reason and can not even take a chance to test this! I understand that there could be needs to change/modify code descriptions. We can do that very well irrespective of the code is used or not. I'm concerned about the deletion of the code from database once it is used in any notification.

I am convinced with this if this occurs in the same way you are mentioning. SAP's help can not be wrong, doesn't matter how we delete the code, directly with QS41 or using transports!  But if the codes are getting deleted (once they are used) then this is something beyond my imagination.

Anand