cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hana on commodity hardware

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are there any plans to support Hana on commodity hardware in production scenarios?

Thanks,
Bakhtiyar

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mathanponnucham
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello,

SAP HANA is delivered as an appliance. Good luck if your commodity HW is featured in the  Certified SAP HANA® Hardware Directory. If you are planning to use any other hardware then is the answer.

Rgds,

Mat.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, technically SAP HANA runs on commodity hardware. It's the upper end and needs to be certified but it's not custom made, super special chips type of hardware.

To run HANA in a different setup there is the Tailored Data Center Integration that e.g. allows for the usage of custom storage systems and you can also use virtual servers even for production systems (just check the current PAM).

If your question however actually is "When will HANA support my 8 GB, 4 core laptop as a productive system?" then the answer is likely: please check for cloud instances

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for response.

My question is based on use case when I need to support system replication with archiving of data. Since, system replication cannot be used with dynamic tiering, I'm considering adding two hosts (one to each system) that would run on hardware less expensive. In this setup, I would use scale out mechanism and put the archive tables on the cheaper hardware.

If system replication would still run, then I should be able to achieve short RPO and RTO (and that's my ultimate goal).

There was a statement previously that Hana on commodity hardware is supported only for non-production usage. But, if my assumptions about system replication correct, I would really appreciate some insights on how to get the certification you've mentioned (contacts)?

Thanks,
Bakhtiyar

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm considering adding two hosts (one to each system) that would run on hardware less expensive. In this setup, I would use scale out mechanism and put the archive tables on the cheaper hardware.

Well that's just not supported.

System replication for TD is in the making AFAIK but until then, the only option to get this working is by storage level replication.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again!

Do you know if there any numbers for RPO and RTO with storage level replications? The documentation says that RTO is "medium", so as "Host Auto Failover".

There is also a big difference in the documentation regarding RTO for Host Auto-Failover and while I understand that it mostly depends on application, if the community has any real life experience, I would really appreciate some facts.

Thanks,
Bakhtiyar

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This has to be answered by the storage system vendor.