cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse engineering Hadoop/hive database using PowerDesigner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using PowerDesigner 16.5.0.3982 and I want to reverse engineer  Hadoop/Hive :2.3-2.4 database tables.

Can someone please guide me on how to achieve this? What are the necessary plug ins/drivers needed for the same?

Thanks,

Raj

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thank you all for your responses. I am considering upgrading Powerdesigner and I checked the features of both SP 04 and SP 05 but both of them support Hadoop 1.0 only. I am looking to reverse engineer Hadoop 2.3 -2.4 .

Please advise.

Thanks,

Raj

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP are probably already working on this, so it's worth asking if they can supply a new Database Definition file that hasn't been released yet.

If they're not going to deliver in time for you, you could find someone to tailor the database support for you, assuming you know which new features of Hadoop you want to take advantage of - this assumes that it wouldn't need any changes to the base product.

I can think of a few people who might be able to do it, depending on what you need to have changed - have a go yourself if you want.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply , could you please give the details of what changes can I make myself?

Thanks,

Raj

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See section 4 in "c:\program files\sap\powerdesigner 16\documentation\printable docs\customizing_powerdesigner.pdf" or the equivalent section in HTML help (the content is the same)

former_member185317
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

You will have to extend or customize the existing XDB for Hadoop Hive 1.0. You will want to reference the doc location that George pointed you to, as a starting point. Depending on what you are adding or changing, you will most likely be working in the DBMS Properties dialog around the Script -> Objects folders.

What is the big difference(s) between 1.0 and 2.4 that you are trying to take advantage of through the metadata via Hive?

HTH,

-Matt C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

With PowerDesigner 16.5.5.0 (SP05)

a) Click on New Model - Physical Model

b) Click on DBMS => Modify DBMS

c) You can reverse Hadoop/Hive 1.0 - Not 2.3/2.4

Thank you,

Former Member
0 Kudos

You mean PowerDesigner 16.5.4 ?? Is there any other option apart from an upgrade?

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The SAP answer is to upgrade, but the Hive support is provided via an XML file, which they could easily supply to you, and it will probably work fine in 16.5.0.

I suggest you ask your SAP contact for a copy of the file.

marc_ledier
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as it sounds.

The Hive support requested several changes in the main product to support some new features introduced in XDB file...

The upgrade is mandatory for this case.

Marc

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hadoop support is added in SP04 and later.  You need to upgrade.

Chris