cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HWCCT result shows several "FAILED" items

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We installed HANA 1.0 SPS09 on SLES 11 SP3 using Lenovo X3650 M5 (Supported TDI entry-level system).

The box has two Xeon E5-2670 v3  with 768GB Memory. Four SSDs in RAID for /hana/log and lots of HDD in RAIDs for /hana/data.

The HANA DB was successfully installed and ERP 6.0 EHP7 was also successfully installed on it (no sFIN).

We also did initial client copy and this DEV system is ready for consultant to use.

Then I tried to run HWCCT on it (a pre-test before run it on PRD).

I guess the latest one for SPS09 is  "HWCCT_97_1-20011536.SAR". I downloaded it and execute ./hwval -f test_config_all.json

The result shows several "FAILED" items which I can't figure out the reason, hope you guys can give me some hint:

FAILED #1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

validateRuntime          :          FAILED

severity     : HIGH

reason      : Runtime environment in this Distribution is not ready for HANA DSPS07 and HANA SPS08. Please see SAP Note 2001528 for more detail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My explanation: SPS09 was successfully installed and this box is SLES SP3 which shouldn't have GCC4.7 issue.

I can start up HANA without problem. No clue why got this error !

FAILED #2

validateCPU          :          FAILED

reason      : CPU Model Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v3 @2.30GHz is not Supported

My explanation: The TDI server directory web page shows me that  Xeon E5-2670 v3 is supported.

No clue why got this error !  Maybe 2.30GHz to slow ?

FAILED #3

validateApplianceSystemType     :        FAILED

reason      : 'System x3650 M5: -[546262v]-' is not a certified HANA Server. Due to new Validations this information ...<skip>

My explanation: I guess HWCCT only recognize "HANA Appliance" and know nothing about TDI "Supported" system.

But why all installation document tell us to run this tool for TDI systems ???? How can you show this result to customer?

Can anyone tell me the difference between "Certified" and "Supported" ?

FAILED #4

validateMemory     :        FAILED

reason      : TotalMemory Size is not an allowed memory configuration

My explanation: 768GB is not allowed ?

That's all I got.  Customer bought wrong HW ?

Any input is welcome and thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Jonathan_Haun
Participant
0 Kudos

Download the latest from LandscapeTest.py script from SAP Note 2161344 and run again to be sure.

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2161344

According to the PAM it is supported but the script your using might be outdated. I am using the updated script and it still fails on the E5 v3 CPU but the message states that it is not supported for production use. My failed message below.

validateCPU : FAILED                                             

severity: HIGH

reason  : CPU Model Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2695 v3 @ 2.30GHz is not supported for productive usage

IBM Entry Level Systems on PAM:

https://global.sap.com/community/ebook/2014-09-02-hana-hardware/enEN/entry-level-systems.html#catego... Xeon E5-26xx v3

Items #1 and #2 require an update to Linux assuming you get the error after updating the script. They  must be updated. I would also update to the latest kernel to overcome some known xfs file system issues.

Review SAP Note 1954788 - SAP HANA DB: Recommended OS settings for SLES 11 / SLES for SAP Applications 11 SP3

The memory to CPU ratio is really only suitable for OLTP solutions (which you are running). You have 24 cores and 768 GB RAM. The ratio is about 32 GB / Core. If you are using the SAP HANA system to operate Suite on HANA you are ok. If BW on HANA or a Data Warehouse, you might have some issues depending on the workload.

Overall, you are using an entry level systems. According to SAP it is supported but not certified. It will  not be as fast as a certified system running on the intel E7 v3 but it has a much better cost / performance ratio than the certified systems. I have several customers using them for OLAP workloads but their systems are limited to 256 GB RAM or less. At or under 256 GB RAM they work great for OLAP solutions. Your system has 3 times the RAM so I would be mindful of that fact.