cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to duplicate HANA database

Former Member

Hi

Can someone assist with steps on how to export a HANA database for import on another existing HANA database?  I need to create a clone.

From HANA studio the SYSTEM user don't have access to the SAP schema. And If login to studio with the SAP schema owner, I get a "[258]: insufficient privilege: not authorized" message if I try to export my own schema.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hi Experts

I would like to make a full database database export of my HANA database (or at least of the SAP schema), to be able to import and duplicate the database on another host.

I tried from HANA studio logged in as the SYSTEM user, but the SYSTEM user don't have access to the SAP schema. (SAP schema not visible in "Catalog" view). I also logged into Studio with the SAP schema owner, but then when I export the SAP schema I get a "[258]: insufficient privilege: not authorized" message.

Any advise on if it is possible to create a full database export will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is no predefined HANA user that automatically has every privilege and all access to the data.

You can create such an import/export user, but it especially when it comes to object ownership this way of "system copy" will not deliver an identical copy.

The SAP system copy tools (e.g. SUM) use the SAP-schema logon to export/import data and only copy SAP<SID>-objects. For a SAP Netweaver system copy that would be my recommendation to go ahead.

Another pro-point for this approach is that the SUM tools are way better instrumented and task oriented than the bare-bone EXPORT/IMPORT tools.

For all practical matters there is no way to create a full SAP HANA export. At least core objects like the SAP HANA user management etc. won't be exported.

For the repository... I haven't tried it, but my guess would be that the import would lead to issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars

Thanks for the info!

I am running a export now with SWPM, it is running very long. Apparently SUM is more aimed at version changing with the export.  The fastest way to clone seem to be a backup/restore, since the SID in my case don't need to change.

Still busy testing both methods.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you tried to Google that?

Have you tried to read the documentation located at help.sap.com?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SCN pro-tip: you can easily save typing up questions like

• 'have you read the docs?',
  • 'is google down?' or
  • 'is this your first day researching information on the net?'

by clicking the Alert Moderator link and selecting FAILED TO SEARCH.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I realize the question does not sound that great, but I did read quite a lot before posting.  Here are my findings:

A HANA database clone can be done with either:

• backup and restore can be done to same or higher version

(HANA System Copy Guide - http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/90530553-b686-3110-498b-e1dab0282...)

• export and import SAP schema

(Can I duplicate HANA database - http://scn.sap.com/thread/3486383)

( we can manually change the schema names in DDL's generated after export)

• copy over file system data files, and registering the copied SAP HANA system on new hosts

(Copy or Clone an SAP HANA System - http://help.sap.com/saphelp_hanaplatform/helpdata/en/c6/22d640e47e4c0ebca8cbe74ff9550a/content.htm)

• Export with SWPM. (still looking for a guide on this)

(http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-8324)

However, I cannot find the info on which method of these should work best, and I'm trying the import - export method but running into the issues in the description, and also failing to find steps on this.

Kind Regards

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please compare your second post with your first one.

The second one provides the information required to address your question or at least understand your point of view.

Now for your actual problem I suggest you post the exact steps you took so that anyone here can follow up.