cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PB 12.6 - Served License - Licensed number of users already reached

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

We face a situation where we have 8 floating licenses for PB 12.6 and during business hours we get the following messages:

Licensed number of users already reached. (-4,342)

Licensed number of users already reached. (-4,342:10054 "")

I can clearly understand that this error happens when we are running out of license quota.

During my research on the error message, I have found the following contradictory information:

1.) Link: http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc00530.0220/doc/html/jon1266535145236...

"If the product is using Floating License (FL) type licenses, you can shut down other instances of the product or feature you are using, running on other machines, to free licenses." (3rd solution)

2.) Link: http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SYBPB/Diagnosing+SySAM+Problems+with+PowerBuilder

"A license is used based on unique (user_id + machinename).  Once a user starts PowerBuilder, that user receives a license from the license server.  If that user shuts down PowerBuilder, that user still holds that license."

My questions are the following:

• Which of the aforementioned statements is valid for PowerBuilder?
  • Can we automatically return a borrowed license once a user have closed PowerBuilder? I saw in LMTools (Binary Location: <root path>\Sybase\PowerBuilder 12.6\SYSAM-2_0\bin) that a borrowed license can either be returned on a specified date / end-of-day or earlier.

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions.

Regards,

ilias

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ilias,

PowerBuilder does not support a floating license.   For PowerBuilder, this statement is true:

"A license is used based on unique (user_id + machinename).   Once a user starts PowerBuilder that user receives a license from the license server.   If that user shuts down PowerBuilder, that user still holds that license".

Thank you.
Beverly Duquette

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Beverly,

Thanks for your reply. Instead of 'floating license', I should use the term 'Served License'.

Do you have any suggestion on my second question?

Kind regards,

ilias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Illias,

That feature is not supported with PowerBuilder.   There is not an automated way to return a license from lmtools.

You can return a license back to the server from the commandline but should be used if a user leaves the company or a user moves to a different machine.

Thank you.
Beverly Duquette

Answers (0)