Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making WAS run on port 80

bjorn-henrik_zink
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've installed WAS 6.40 on Solaris / MaxDB and now I would like to change trying to change/alter the WAS to respond on port 80. I know that the best way is to set up a reverse proxy, but for now I would to make a simple test.

I have changed the HTTP Provider to port 80. Unfortunately, my WAS is still not working appropriately.

Anyone who knows what could be the problem?

I can't see any other service reserving the 80 port.

Thanks.

Elvez

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, I haven't responded earlier -- I was away presenting at ASUG 2005.

Anyways, are you on a UNIX platform?

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK,

If you happen to be on UNIX, here's a reference about ports less than 1024 on UNIX.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/ce/9b673b079b4054e10000000a11405a/content.htm

"On Unix systems only users with superuser authorizations can bind ports with numbers lower than 1024. For this reason either the ICM process must be provided with these authorizations, or the port must be bound by an external program and then the listen socket transferred to the ICM."

This is ICM specific but I just wanted to provide a reference for the ports less than 1024 issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

there are two ways to adress this .

One is to configure a web dispatcher.

Using web dispatcher, you can have the user request hit on the port you want to

and also you can hide the actuall host names of the application servers as we understand Web dispatcher serves the purpose of a reverse proxy also.

If you have several application servers, web dispatcher does load balancing, which is very helpfull.

Secondly you can change the http port of the ICM service.

Goto SMICM transaction , goto --> services and look into the option to change and create ports.

this change is temporary but dynamic, to make it permenant you can add the port number in the icm/server_port_<xx> parameter .

hope this helps.

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Elvez,

did you read and the link(s) given there?

Hope it helps

Detlev

bjorn-henrik_zink
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Detlev,

I have already read the links given in the referred thread and applied them. Unfortunately, that is not helping me. As mentioned, I changed the HTTP Provider successfully with other ports - however, not with port 80!

Best regards,

Elvez

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you getting an error message? On Unix you'll need root level access to open port less than 1024.

bjorn-henrik_zink
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Somckit,

so what you are saying is that my <SID>adm is not root and therefore can not set port 80?

Thanks.

Elvez

bjorn-henrik_zink
Active Participant
0 Kudos

...or should I start the WAS as root?