cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between SAP cloud and HANA cloud.

former_member201264
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have an experience in SAP PI.

I have gone through the below blog series Part 1 to 7.

Also read some articles on SAP HCI.

Then I got few questions :

1. What is the difference between SAP cloud and HANA cloud ?

2. is there any specific reason to name as "SAP HANA Cloud Integration" then the "SAP Cloud Integration" ?

Regards,

Sree.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christianlechne
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

in contrast to ChandenI would say that SAP cloud is the general term for all cloud based solutions that SAP offers. This can be SAP Cloud for Customer or ARIBA or SuccessFactor etc. It comprises Platform as a Service solutions as well Software as a Service solutions and several types of deployment (public cloud, managed cloud). You can get an (marketing ) overview on that solutions here: Cloud Computing | Cloud Solutions | SAP

The SAP HANA Cloud Platform (sometimes also named as HANA cloud, but this is definitly not the offical term) is the platform as a service (PaaS) offered by SAP. This is one specific part of the cloud offering within SAP's cloud portfolio. The SCN space is where you can get a deeper insight into it.

I do not know where the naming of the HCI comes from but as an educated guess I would say as Chandan already stated that it is derived from the HANA Cloud Platform (HCP) as integration service in there and therefore the "H" has to be part of the name

Cheers

Christian

P.S. also the HCP is misleading as the HCP offering does not come with an HANA underneath automatically but with a MaxDB and can also be run with an SAP ASE as DB underneath. 

chandansb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are right Christian, SAP Cloud actually means Cloud world from SAP. But I thought he must not be confused with Cloud for Customer!!

Thanks for elaborating more on this. Hopefully this discussion resolves such confusion for many others too.

Cheers,

Chandan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

chandansb
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sree,

By saying, SAP Cloud you must be referring to SAP Cloud for Customer. This is a SaaS from SAP which I can explain as CRM on Cloud from SAP which is growing day by day with respect to it's feature and flexibility.

On other hand, HCI is Cloud-based integration technology on SAP HANA Cloud Platform and thus the name HCI and not SCI. (By the way, SAP do have SCI (SAP Cloud Identifier), which is SAP IDP )

Hope this clarifies at least some of your doubts.

Regards,

Chandan