cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Policy on Mentioning Openings at my Company in Status Update

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is there a policy about this? If my organization has a job opportunity available, can I mention that in a status update, or elsewhere on SCN? Or would that be an RoE violation? I couldn't find anything myself in the RoE that prohibits this activity, but I'm curious about the thoughts of the moderators out there about it. The RoE does mention not soliciting your company's products and services, but this seems a little different (we're not trying to sell anyone anything here, we're trying to hire someone for a full-time position).

Cheers,

Matt

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hey

In the Careers space I reject these as advertising is against the rules - you risk professional job sites and recruiters posting

If allowed on status I'd be careful as the following is likely to happen

1. Your posts results in a heap of 'freshers' and new members to SCN breaking other rules by posting all their personal contact details
  2. You don't have an easy way to discuss
  3. Member (if done in a blog) upload their resumes, etc
  4. You get an onslaught of freshers hoping you can find them a job (including visa opportunity)

Instead, I'd reach out to my connections via direct messages and ask them to spread the word or post onto LinkedIn/Twitter

As Samuli mentions, the grey area could be to mention you're having the joy of sifting through resumes and mention x number of days the job is open, etc. Your profile contains your company information and if someone has enough powers of deduction and motivation can go find it. Hey it might even be a way to sift out the lazy Again, completely grey area.

Within careers space, recruiters and companies which don't seem to be above board would hit the space with "job offerings". Too much disclosure of private information.

Regards

Colleen

P.S. the note is there as I asked for it so my moderation queue would reduce

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, I did worry about getting swamped with irrelevant stuff -- except out of two dozen resumes received so far from the posting on our own website, only ONE has even mentioned SAP! Part of that is our own fault, as our stringent HR rules requires us to post the job using a generic description, and only at the very end in a small "supplemental information" box are we allowed to say what the job actually is. Oh well, I'll leave it off. Thanks for these thoughts.

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Sorry Matt. That must make it policy when you have to advertise with generic descriptions and small amounts on the mandatory/desirable skills. If only HR could see problems with that approach.

Regards

Colleen

P. s Tweet the link and mention SAP - I"m sure the network will repost for you?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

One of the global moderators who shall remain anonymous told me while back that it's a gray area and didn't advise against or for so I chose not to do it.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Calling to this as it may be something for the Career space, too.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, though the Career Center space specifically prohibits this, per a note on their front page.

Steffi_Warnecke
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Oh, right. I forgot.