cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does conversion of unit work in HANA (Live)?

Verakso
Participant
0 Kudos

I really have some hard time getting a grasp on how conversion of units work in HANA Live views.

The currency conversion works fine, and I very little issues with this (Except when the ERP guys put new items in new currency, there are not yet created in the currency tables )

But the unit conversion is not that simple, at least to me.

I have a measure in the BillingDocumentItemQuery that I would like to convert to the BaseUnit, so I have added BaseUnit, and configured the semantic like this:

I have in this case hard coded the client, but the Source Unit is set to the unconverted BillingQuantityUnit, and I have set the Target Unit to the BaseUnit, and I can honestly not see how this could be done anyway other - but please enlighten me if I am wrong.

Never the less, I get this error when I try to run the query/view

But at least I can not see what is missing from T006, because when I look inside, it looks like this:

So »ST« seems to exist.

Now, I have been spending most of the afternoon browsing around on SCN to see if I could get any wiser, and so far I have found out that it seems to everybody else (at least in and in ) is implementing their own unit conversion based on MARM and T006, and not use the built-in in HANA.

So I am just still baffled why I can't get it to work, and would like to hear from someone who has, and more particular, what did the do to make it work.

Regards

/Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

justin_molenaur2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately the built in UOM conversions only handle standard units of measure, like length, volume and weights. This would be useful to convert mm to feet or grams to pounds for example.

When it comes to the actual SAP material conversions based on different UOM's that the material can exist in, the only solution I see is what you have seen in the blog I posted. You'll have to take that approach to convert actual materials In some of the HANA live views this is actually being accomplished in a very similar way.

Regards,

Justin

Verakso
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Justin

Thanks for your replay, even though it was not the answer I was hoping for

But I more or less have come to the same conclusion over night.

Someone has defined insanity at trying to do the same, over and over again and expect a different result

So it will be quicker to make my own conversion in the modified HANA Live views, based on your excellent blog, than trying to get the built in conversion to work.

I am not that deep into the ERP tables, but based on your reply, I have a suspicion that the only UOM conversion that works built in, is the UOM's that have a dimension defined in T006D.

All though my UOM's exists in MARM, eg. like this

Then the relation between PC, BAG, KAR and PAL is not defined in the dimension table, and perhaps that is actually what the error message is trying to tell (not the first time a SAP error isn't totally correct).

Anyway, it is more likely faster, to implement my own UOM conversion, rather trying to go down this rabbit hole, and figuring out if it is the missing dimensions

Once again, thanks for the insight

Regards
/Thomas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

timkorba
Participant
0 Kudos

Thomas,

My first question will be, do you want to leverage the T tables or do you need to leverage the MARM (Material Master detailed conversions)?

Verakso
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tim

I am not sure, what the difference is, but based on input, I digged a little deeper into the HANA Live views, and found out that the reuse view MaterialsUnitOfMeasure is a view based on the MARM table.

So I ended up, including this reuse view into my QueryView and do the propper convertion and calculation of the BaseUnitFactor based on Justin's description in his blog post.

And so far it seems to be working fine

Regards
/Thomas