Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA virtualized and HANA Appliances

Ralf_C-A-S
Explorer
0 Kudos

All,

i have just come around 2 general questions that i was not able to answer right away. Maybe you could assist ? Am a bit confused

HANA Appliance ==> understood

general virtualization ==> understood

HANA virtualized ==> hmmmm

Question : Do i still need a HANA Appliance as a base when i want to virtualize my HANA ?

I found the following statement : SAP Business Suite powered by SAP HANA Cookbook

"A single SAP HANA virtual machine on a dedicated SAP HANA certified server is supported. SAP HANA multi-node / scale-out deployment configurations are not supported."

Where is the beef when talking about HANA virtualized as it also says there:

Multiple SAP HANA virtual machines on a single physical server are generally not supported.

==> So for each and every HANA virtual machine a dedicated server is required.

Question:  Is the HW part of the virtualization something else then HW part of the Appliance ?

Kind regards

Ralf

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralf,

Answer to Question1:

SAP HANA is supported on Virtualized platform only on SAP certified server

It means the Hardware used for Virtualization of HANA either pre configured or a Tailored Data Center Integration (TDI) has to be certified by SAP

Answer to Question2:

HW part of virtual machien is similar to the HW part of appliance as both need to be certified by HANA and have to be provided by Certified partners

Refer the below link for better understanding(and current limitations of HANA on virtualiized platform) and let me know if you have any more questions

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1995460

Hope this helps

Sunil

Ralf_C-A-S
Explorer
0 Kudos

Sunil.

i didn´t get all parts of the mentioned note before. Reading it now with your answers does help!

Very much appreciated.!

PS: Would u say that the cost saving/reduced admin effects work in such scenarios ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralf,

Virtualization has its own benefits when it comes to taking VM backups and recovery of system and ease of deployment by building the templates. All in the area of System administration

On the HANA Administration I do not think it makes a huge difference working on VM based HANA system

I have seen customers using Virtualized setup for smaller HANA configurations(such as SLT), for a large setup customers would rely on hardware appliances

Sunil

Ralf_C-A-S
Explorer
0 Kudos

Fully agreed, Sunil!  Thanks a lot for your help and opinion!

Ralf

Answers (0)