cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Anywhere 12.1 - prefixed with 'SAP' or 'Sybase'?

0 Kudos

Hi all,

we use SQL Anywhere 12.1. Since SAP bought out Sybase, in our documentation should we be using "Sybase SQL Anywhere 12.1" or "SAP SQL Anywhere 12.1"?

Cheers

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188493
Contributor
0 Kudos

He who pays the piper calls the tune... SAP bought and paid for everything including the name, SAP calls it "SAP SQL Anywhere" (look at the name of this forum), so "SAP SQL Anywhere" it is... and always will be... and always was! : )

Former Member
0 Kudos

To correct on what Jinwoo said, since 16, we officially call it SAP SQL Anywhere 16. We stripped off using Sybase prefix long time ago, we use Sybase occaisionally  since SQL Anywhere was part of Sybase group before being acquired by SAP. Hope this clarifies, thank you

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Thanks Jinwoo and Breck.

Both make a lot of sense so in the end I went and found the Supported Platforms document (http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-35654) which calls the product family 'SAP SQL Anywhere' which is what I will use.

Cheers to you both.

David

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

SAP Knowledge Articles list version 12 as "SAP Sybase SQL Anywhere 12.0" (which includes both 12.0.0 and 12.0.1 versions). I know there are inconsistencies when it comes to this particular version, but if I have to pick one, I'd go with "SAP Sybase". FYI, version 16 is also prefixed with "SAP Sybase" and we started using SAP SQL Anywhere from version 17.

Hope this helps,

Jinwoo

former_member188493
Contributor
0 Kudos

Be careful, Jinwoo... it has always been SAP SQL Anywhere, and we've always been at war with Eastasia 🙂