cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NWDS to PO connectivity Roles Required ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I am trying to add SAP PO server (NW731EXT_10_REL) SP 05 to NWDS 7.3 EhP 1, its asking me to enter the "OS level password  to SAP JEE Host".

Is entering the OS level password only option to get PO server configured in NWDS ?

I went through wiki link NWDS Troubleshooting - Java Development - SCN Wiki which talks about the issue - "Engine not displayed in preferences", I am facing exact same issue and want to know, can the Answer part in this wiki help resolve the issue without using OS Level Password ?

--> Open DEFAULT.PFL file in /usr/sap/(SID)/SYS/profile and set service/protectedwebmethods to DEFAULT (from SDEFAULT) and then restart the engine.

I believe this is to be done on SAP PO server, Do I still have to use the OS password ? Also, does it not reduce the security level of the PO server ?

Also, in general projects, what all authorizations does a developer have when using NWDS with SAP PO ? Like developing NW BPMs, Deploying them to Server etc. Once I get these details our BASIS team can create corresponding role and assign to my userid. I want to separate general BASIS activities from that of PO Developer.

Please provide your valuable inputs.

Thanks & regards,

Rajesh S. Shinde

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

azharshaikh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

Inorder to configure / connect to your PO via NWDS you need to download the correct version / level of NWDS version (compatible with your PI version).

You need to enter your PI User ID / Pwd to connect to ESR & ID objects.

Refer following for NWDS setup & roles for BPM development

Security Actions Necessary to Perform Deploy Operations - Developing Java EE 5 Applications - SAP Li...

Authorizations and Roles - Business Process Management Security Guide - SAP Library

Hope it helps

Regards,

Azhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Azhar,

Thanks for your inputs.

I understand NWDS compatibility with PO server is very important. However we have a individual person who has same NWDS version installed and also connected with our PO development server but he is using the OS Level Password which Basis keyed in. So I think the version is not an issue here.

The problem is asking BASIS for the OS level password, its not accepting my PO server password. There should be a way to separate Roles required for the SAP PO Consultant (for working on NW BPMs etc.) and the ones required for BASIS Consultant when managing PO single stack server.

I think some authorizations / Roles are missing from my user-id which when added can enable me to connect to PO server, does this statement seem correct ? I went through the url - Authorizations and Roles - Business Process Management Security Guide - SAP Library 

There its talking about various roles, can you please specify which roles in general are assigned to PO developer for deploying BPMs, fetching contents from ESR etc, so I can ask my BASIS to assign them to me.

Thanks & regards,

Rajesh

azharshaikh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

You are right. The role are certainly different for PI and Basis Consultant. Basis would be having ADMIN role hence you are able to access with their ID.

AFAIK - if you have valid PI user ID with proper authorizations in ESR / ID, you should be able to connect to it via NWDS tool as well.

Inorder to develop / deploy BPM related application you would require the roles are suggest in following link:

Developing Java EE 5 Applications - SAP Library

• SAP_APPLICATION_DEPLOYER - provides the minimal privileges sufficient for deployment of applications
  • SAP_SYSTEM_DEPLOYER - provides the minimal privileges sufficient for deployment of any component (applications; offline components)

Regards,
Azhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Azhar,

Thanks for the reply. This helped me a lot !

Regards,

Rajesh Shinde

Answers (0)