cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get practice with Universes, Publishing, and Repository?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to download a trial to evaluate certain functionalities related to Crystal Reports: Universes, Publishing, and Repository.

My first thought was that I need SAP Crystal Server. Then I found out that it can be installed only under a server operating system, whereas I am on Windows 8.1.

After doing some more research, I found that SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise would do. However, I do not see SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise on Free Trials page

Questions:

1) What is the name of a product I need to download to be able to practice with Universes, Publishing, and Repository?

2) Can this product’s trial be installed on Windows 8.1 operating system?

3) If so, could someone please point me to the page where I can see an obvious trial download link?

Thanks,

Max

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Max,

To create reports against a Universe, you first need a Universe. Which means, you need BI 4.x.

CR Server does NOT support Universes.

CR for Enterprise can connect to a .unx Universe (created using the Information Design Tool).

CR (legacy) designer can connect to a .unv Universe (created using the Universe Design Tool).

CR for Enterprise, at the moment, can only be downloaded from the Service Market Place (using S-user credentials).

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi  Abhilash,

Thanks for your quick and detailed answer. Several things look more understandable now. 

You are saying I can use CR (legacy) designer to connect to a.unvUniverse (created using the Universe Design Tool). So how I can get to this Universe Design Tool? I tried to search under BI platform, did not find it.

I just want to get my hands dirty with universes:)

Thanks!

Max

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The Universe Design Tool is available in the Client Tools for the BI Platform.  However, you have to have a BI Platform installed in order for Crystal to be able to use the universe, and the BI Platform trial requires a server OS.

Personally, I really dislike having to work with universes in Crystal.  There are some limitations.  For example, you really want to get all of your filters into the universe or into the query you create from the universe - DO NOT use the Select Expert in Crystal because Crystal will not be able to push the filters down to the database and will, instead, pull all of the data into memory and filter it there.

-Dell

abhilash_kumar
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree with Dell - I really don't understand the idea of using CR against Universes.

CR for Enterprise however, to some extent, does a better job with .unx Universes - I still hate the setup though!

-Abhilash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks guys!

I just wanted to get a little bit familiar with SAP Business Intelligence functionalities I hear about often. I was going to use free trials for that. However it looks like I can do little with a workstation operating system.

Your comments on using CR with Universes do not give an impression that I’ll be missing much in this particular area though. Thanks again for saving me troubles.

Two remaining products I want to try are SAP HANA and SAP Crystal Dashboard Design. To install them, do I need to have a server operating system as well?

Max

DellSC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a free Hana Cloud option.  I know that you can get this when you sign up for one of the Hana classes at http://open.sap.com.

You don't need a server for Dashboard Design.

-Dell

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I thought I'd mention: currently I have Crystal Reports Developer v 14 installed on Windows 8.1.