Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External debugging from .NET not working

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a .Net system making a web service call into our ECC system. It is a 7.02 Netweaver system. I have External debugging turned on and placed an External Breakpoint in the RFC that gets called from the web service. However after trying everything suggested and based on OSS Notes, the WS call will never trigger the debugger window to open.

We have been able to trigger it using a Web Dynpro application, so we know the external debugger works but NOT thorough the .Net web service call.

The user being passed from .Net is the SAP dialog user. Please dont respond with the steps in how to turn on the external debugger....we have done that and know it works when we do it through a WD application.

Something is different when coming in through a wsdl web service call.

Anyone?

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mike

Is the external debugger set to the user who logs from the .Net application into the ECC system? Please check the debugger settings in SE37 is something similar to the picture below, with the corresponding user set. (Menu Utilities->Settings->ABAP Editor->Debugging).

Also please chek ST22. Sometimes a dump can be occurring prior to the debugger hit the external breakpoint.

Regards

Luis Becker

0 Kudos

Yes, I am the one executing the .Net application and my user id is coming into ECC, which is what is set in my Debugging settings. Their is no dump occurring. 

We do not have load balancing so that is also not an issue.

0 Kudos

Might not be the best solution, but if you can put an infinite loop in the RFC and then check SM50, you can see how the process is being called from .Net and even debug it. Then, you might find what is different in this service call which is avoiding the external debugger from being called.

0 Kudos

Dont think being able to get into the debugger is going to tell me why the external debugger never triggered. Id imaging thats SAP system code.

Also, thats not really a solution as we have many, many calls to different operations that get called, so getting this to work is the only viable solution.

0 Kudos

Hello Mike

This could help to understand what processes are being triggered and confirm the calling user.

Anyway, it could help if you share the details of your connection to ECC in the .Net application, so we could have a hint of what is going wrong.

Regards

Luis Becker

0 Kudos

Its just a HTTP web service call into ECC using basic authentication.

Ulrich_Schmidt
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

I don't think that a deep technical problem like this can be solved without traces (RFC trace, kernel workprocess trace etc.)

The only chance to get a solution to this is to open an OSS ticket and let SAP Dev Support
analyze/debug it.

Best Regards, Ulrich