Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPP - DRP Vs ECC-MRP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Greetings.

There is a wide discussion going on on this subject.

Why do we need DRP (SPP), can we not manage the show with MRP.?

Your inputs will be highly helpful for me to collate the information and draft a document.

Thanks in advance.

regards

SRS Kannan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kannan,

I would suggest you to go through SAP Library so that you can understand what exactly the difference is.

MRP and DRP are completely different though both try to create procurement proposals.

You may know SPP is one of SAP's unique breed of product.

Main differences are.

DRP does the net requirement planning which completely rely on the BOD structure where as MRP doesnt have BOD but they do planning according to MRP area, BOD is kind of Location Hierarchy for each Product.

DRP executed in APO but MRP executed in ECC, thus more firm orders are generated in ECC than DRP.

DRP has additional features like Supplier Shutdown, PG procurement, Expedition, Anticipated Demand Coverage, Alerts, Approvals,De expedition of orders which are already created etc which doesnt exist in MRP.

Everything with respect to MRP will be marked with Planning file entry but DRP calculations were saved into BI datasources.

MRP can be directly executed but DRP have to be run in PSM.

BOM structure in DRP will be referred only in KIT TO STOCK process, all other planning is like MTS/PTS process. As it mainly designed for non inhouse manufacturing industries, thus called DRP - Distribution Requirement Planning.

You'll find of lotta diff if you explore yourself.

Regards

Vinoth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinoth,

Thanks for your reply.

As you said i have done study of MRP Vs DRP....in SAP Help portals as well as in other areas

this link also was useful:

http://www.mbaknol.com/logistics-management/distribution-requirement-planning-drp/

I would like to know more details compared , from our Experts in APO - SPP,

if any one help further , I will be thankful.

We would like to know the benefits of DRP Vs MRP.

regards

SRS Kannan

Former Member
0 Kudos

SRS,

I have never seen a formal comparison done, you will probably have to do the actual comparison yourself.

There is a boatload of info about MRP, you have your choice of sources to get insights about this.

DRP is a little more difficult.  DRP in ECC was pretty much abandoned by SAP quite a few revisions ago.  DRP now exists in SPP.  However, it is getting harder to find info about SPP any more. 

There is a doc "Manage Operations for Service Parts Planning with SAP SCM" which contains some high level stuff about DRP you may find interesting:

https://websmp209.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000398482010E

If you don't have S* access, you used to be able to see the Building blocks for SPP RDS in help.sap.com.  I haven't checked recently, but last time I looked they were there.

SAP Service Parts Planning rapid-deployment solution

If you want these publicly available docs, I suggest you download them immediately.  RDS stuff seems to have a way of disappearing from help.sap.com from time to time.

Best Regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear DB49

Thanks for your reply,  sure, will take your advice. and started checking the links.

One clarification.:

What is the meaning of this sentence from your reply,   

'' However, it is getting harder to find info about SPP any more.".

Is there any issue with the SPP module itself, no more operative...?

Please confirm, very much eager to know the answer...

regards

SRS Kannan

Former Member
0 Kudos

SRS,

I haven't heard anything about SAP's intentions for SPP.  If I was interested in such a topic, I would log onto Service Marketplace and see if there were any mentions in the Product Availability Matrix.

Best Regards,

DB49

0 Kudos

Hi SRS,

How are you doing?

I am an SAP Product Support Consultant for SPP. There is no issues with the SPP module. Actually, it is always growing. SPP is even available in the Customer Connection program from SAP which gives the customers the option to request improvements in the application.

Regarding DRP: it is the same algorithm as MRP adopted to support the BoD (Bill of Distribution). The BoD is a Master Data in the SPP module which is a hierarchy of locations. The parent location (in the top) is the entry location for receiving procured materials. Furthermore the goods are distributed along the BoD to the child locations (level 2 and 3 below the parent). When DRP is planning, it rolls up the demands of all locations within the BoD to the parent location. The procurement is then planned and afterwards disaggregated to the child locations of the BoD.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubts.

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Answers (0)