cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogeneous system copy enquiry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I had an enquiry about heterogeneous system copy.

Currently i am performing for Dev system.

Current OS is HP-UX and doing migration to RHEL 7.

DB is Oracle 11.2.0.4

As I am planning to perform the export and import on different days and during the import, my developers will still continue work on the old HP-UX system.

After importing to new RHEL system which could be a few days, I would like to have the changed data that is done during the few days to be updated to the RHEL system.

May i know how do i proceed to do it?

Through archived log restore? does this work even OS is different? or any other methods?

I am backing up daily archive log to Netapp storage via HP Data protector.

Regards,

Zhong Wei

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Manu and Reagan for your advice.

As previously i had done a test os migration before for our QA system just to see if any improved performance comparing RHEL and HP-UX but not done on any live production before.

Just a few more questions and hope you guys can help

1) Is it a must to change the SAPSID or can use the same SAPSID?

In what scenario that we need to change the SAPSID and what are the pros/cons when use different SAPSID for os migration

2) Normally for os migration for live production, is export and import done immediately and go live once import is done and parameter tuning is done?

Do you encounter before after export and import is done, then users still use back the source system first while tuning and testing is done in the target system for a few days before going live on the target system?

My concern is the target system must be check carefully before releasing and go live.

While this happen, business end need to continue have SAP for operation thus they will use back source system. But this will cause the problem of data lost of the few days when switch over live to the target system.

kuensang_lam
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Zhong Wei,

Depending on the size of your Oracle DB, and the acceptable downtime to your business, there are various solutions/services available.

There is this Oracle-to-Oracle Migration service, which can migrate offline Oracle database at up to 2TB per hour.

And for customers who need almost zero downtime migration due to 24X7 nature of their SAP operation, there is the OOO (Triple-O)  which stands for Oracle-to-Oracle Online migration also

offered for SAP customers utilizing GoldenGate option of Oracle DB to perform near zero-downtime migration of Oracle databases.   The users will be continuing using the productive system during the bulk of the migration happening in the background.

Please check out SAP Note: 1508271

Regards

Lam

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zhong ,

1 ) There is no 'must' to keep the same SID . You may opt for a new SID if your requirements needs so . Unless you want to keep the old system , dont think their is any  reason to Opt for  a new SID .

2 ) SAP recommendation is to start the import along with the export . This is  to reduce the overall System downtime during the export .

Tuning and testing the system  and end user using the old system meanwhile are not standard practices . You should proceed to upgrade your live system only after you have done SUFFICIENT amount of tests  in your preproduction / Quality systems  and these have been approved by SAP .

Please go through this

Continuous Quality Check & Improvement Services

there are lot of Services available from SAP [ Some of which are free and some are a must do for Hetrogeneous sytem Copy ]

Also It is recommended that only a certified SAP Upgrade consultant should be performing a SAP Heterogeneous system copy

Thanks ,

Manu

former_member1232
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to perform dual development. Once your target box is build and running. There is no way you bring changes. I would suggest try to deploy transports if any important object modified after migration.

Regards,

Amit

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Zhong ,

Why cant the export be taken after the developer has performed all the activities ?

As this is the development system , It will be best served if you include the corrections made by the developer in the Export  . Otherwise you might be required to  do the SPAU/SPDD twice and  most important the transport might fail in the new imported architecture / could cause problems .

As far as i know , It will be better served if the developers complete their change requests and the changes are captured in the export .

If they are imminent corrections that needs to be send to the production system  ( before the actual  upgrade golive ) , You may keep both the versions of the development system ( old + new )  for a while    and proceed .

Thanks ,

Manu

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

After the system migration using from HP-UX to Linux you will not be able to apply any archived redologs from the source system because the database is open and there will be a new sequence number. If you want to bring in the developments after the migration then the only option is to import the transport requests to the migrated system.