cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting to Oracle database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

in Powerdesigner 16.5 i created a PDM. Now i want to connect to our Oracle 11 database to set up the database with the tables etc. However, i've tried connecting to Oracle but each time powerdesigner gives me an error.

Through ODBC i get following error: "The oracle Oracle client and network components are not found..."

Through native connection i get following error: "Connection test failed", while i was assured by other people the settings are fine.

I really would be grateful if someone could put me in the right direction. Where to look or what tools i can use to further find out what problem is causing this. On the same machine i can connect to the Oracle database without any issues using other tool like PL/SQL developer.

Many thanks,

Udo Hettema

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, thanks all for your support! it took a while and the problem seemed to be a bit more complicated but your suggestions put me in the right direction! finally i managed to solve by correctly installing odbc driver. A website provided instructions on installing the driver. Now i can connect!

regards,

Udo

former_member185317
Active Participant
0 Kudos

As Benoit mentioned, this is usually a result of a mismatch in 32/64 bit dbms driver vs. the installed bit version of PowerDesigner. Determine that, and it should clear up quickly.

-Matt C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

a) Determine what you have installed : PowerDesigner 32 bits or 64 bits ? To know go to Help About PowerDesigner.

b) Go to Control Panel => System and Security => Administrative Tools => Select the right ODBC 32 bits or 64 bits

c) Select System DSN NOT User DSN

d) Add your data Source => Select your Oracle Driver. If the Oracle Driver is not available. It's because it's not installed. If it's your current situation go to Oracle Web site and download the good one for your operating system, database version and 32 or 64 bits following your desktop tool installation.

e) You can also search in the PowerDesigner Community discussions, I sure you can find others discussions about this.

Note : Do not forget to evaluate my answer.

Bye