cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an easy way to change the data connection in Lumira?

Verakso
Participant
0 Kudos

First of all, this is not meant to be a repetition of , but the question and answer is from December last year, and we are all ready at Lumira version 1.27.1 so something has definitely changed.

But unless I have missed something, there i still a gap, when it comes to changing data source.

As described in the previous post, changing the data source per say is easy, just go to Data and select Edit data source (or click CRTL+SHIFT+E)

In my particular case, the Lumira data is comming from a HANA server, modified HANA Live views to be precises.

And here is the problem. We have modified the first view we based the Lumira presentation on, by making a new and extended view.

But after I have pressed, back a couple of times, log on to the HANA server, and are able to select the new view.

I get this warning when pressing OK to the new data source

Not what I had in mind by changing the data source. This basically is the equivalent to just make a new Lumira file (visualizations and stories) from scratch, which was not my intention.

It seems that unless I have missed out on something, Lumira here has a big gap, compared to e.g. Web Intelligence, where I am prompted and have the ability to re-map my old objects with the new objects,

So far this lack does not make Lumira any more agile in my eyes.

Kind regards
/Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Verakso
Participant
0 Kudos

Upon revisiting this old question, I could see that both and actually have been around this excellent question , but more interesting is the answer by which was the workaround I ended up using.

So 's answer is actually the correct one here also

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas:

I am not using HANA so I am not sure if it will work - what about changing the data source under the Connections - see below screen shot:

It looks like it will work for Excel; please note the above is from Lumira 1.28.2 just released

Verakso
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy

It seems that you can change the connection when it comes to Excel, but not so much when it comes to HANA

I have no options to change the data source this way.

It seems to me, that you can change the connection, all though I have not tried it, but besides I want to change the data source, not necessarily the connection.

In my particular case, I have made one HANA View, and made some visualizations and stories in Lumira.

Next I made a new and extended view, that I would like to use forward on.

So I had hoped, I just could switch the views in Lumira, but it does not seems to be possible.

I was trying to avoid to make the whole Lumira visualization and stories all over again.

Kind regards
/Thomas

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3701062#16091295

Hi,

there was a similar question over here, related to moving content between landscapes  (link in header )

I realise this isn't exactly what you are aiming at - in your case:  creating a new version of  the underlying view, and then mapping Lumira's feeds to these new column names.

so I've asked team expert if he can comment (pls allow a little time )

thx

H

Verakso
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Henry

Thanks for joining in, and bringing to this question

What we have found out so far, is that it seems that Lumira is using the name (and the path) of the calculation view that is used as a data source.

This means, we can not move or rename the view, once a Lumira Visualization is made.

However, we can make a new view, delete the old view, and rename the new view to the old name, and then Lumira let you do a new mapping of the objects and the Visualization works fine.

(you could also just modify your old view, but hey - we are doing parallel agile development here )

The caveat is in both cases, that it seem you can not rename you view, so unless you prepare properly, you go into production with crappy names.

So the lesson so far is, choose the right name for you view from the beginning, and then fill in the rest later

Regards
/Thomas