cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply service pack - Java & Kernel only

angus_macaulay
Explorer
0 Kudos

I'm trying to apply SP14 to SAP PI Netweaver Sp using SUM (Sp12). 

The ABAP parts of the stack have already been applied using SPAM, but when I try to use SUM to apply the kernel and Java, the ABAP update and Java update seem to get in conflict with each other.

I'm sure that it is possible to use SUM to do this, as I've got this to work before on another server, but I failed to note the exact steps I followed.

I believe the trick is to respond to the prompts in the "Java" tab, and ensure that the Java update happens first, with the ABAP being processed last.

Does anyone have any experiences or tips to share on this ?

Thanks

Angus

The stack XML has some problems, since for security reasons it is not currently possible to have the remote link from my Solution Manager to SAP, but SAP support have given me a way to work round this. I'm mentioning this for completeness, but not sure it is relevant, as I have got this all to work previoulsy.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

angus_macaulay
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread.

For me what worked in the end was :

- use "javaonly" mode for SUM

- manually change over the kernel (not sure why SUM didn't do this, even in javaonly mode)

- ensure  that the SSL server's certificate is "trusted" by the SSL standard client, by using TCODE STRUST to put it in the SSL standard client's certificate store.  See this other thread

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

angus_macaulay
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks to Amit for the suggestion about "javaonly".

"javaonly" was going well, up to the point in execution phase where it failed to restart..

• SUM logs show no failure other than a failure to bring the instance up, which is caused by failure to start the java processes.
  • The dev_server0 log provides no clue as to the failure.
  • Manually trying to start the server0 process from MMC also fails in similar way.
  • There is no authorisation issue when using sapcontrol
  • There are some messages in other logs about "out of memory" when doing a java compile, but there was approx 3 Gb memory free out of 8 Gb when the failure happened.
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angus,

Is your ABAP stack up and running, while you are doing the java patching ?

This return code rc=2150 means that java is not able to connect to ABAP stack, where the UME is stored for java.

[Thr 5508] Wed Aug 19 13:39:09 2015

F  [Thr 5508] *** LOG => SfCJavaVm: exit hook is called. (rc = 2150)

F  [Thr 5508] *** LOG => exiting (exitcode 2150, retcode 1).

Also check the value of parameter system/type in default profile, it should be DS, sometimes when you run with javaonly or abaponly parameter, the value is changed by SUM. It should be DS in your case.

DS=DualStack

Please let me know.

Thanks

Amit

PS: I can't read the log files, default trace and server_00 as they seem to be corrupt or encrypted

angus_macaulay
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for your continued interest in this. The DEFAULT profile has system/type = DS.

The ABAP stack is all up, it is just the AS Java which for some reason does not want to start.

the default_trace and server_00 are in fact zip files, but I renamed the suffix to allow them to be uploaded. If you download and rename to .zip, and uncompress, they should be readable.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am sure its because of the UME problem. I had the same problem just few days back.

1794176 - J2EE System fails with "exitcode 2150"

I downloaded the files but they are still unreadable.

Check this SAP note.

Thanks

Amit

angus_macaulay
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for this.

However I don't see how I am able to follow the advice in the SAP note 1794176, to replace the ENGINEAPI components.
According to SAP note s this can only be replaced as parf of a set of components - and that is exactly what I am trying to do with SUM........

However, I found another clue in the logs and I suspect the problem is as described in this note 1794179, new kernel needed due to JVM security changes.  With a new kernel, from the SP stack, I was now able to start the installation , and I hope that SUM will now complete.

It is odd that SUM did not replace the kernel, as JSPM would have done this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, I wasn't interested in upgrading the component part of the sap note, but only the next part of the SAP note where java stack is not able to connect to ABAP stack.

Hopefully, lets see if the kernel upgrade overcomes the error.

Thanks

Amit

angus_macaulay
Explorer
0 Kudos

I now find it fails with

"Service for instance 0 on ... is not started after 240 seconds", but when I check status in SAPMMc, everything is started.

Is there some way I can change the 240s parameter so that it will allow longer ?

manumohandas82
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure why you used SPAM to update the  ABAP stack only , while infact you could have done both at the same time using the SUM tool .

my recommendation would be to restore the DB  to a time just before you used SPAM upgrade and then use SUM tool to update your ABAP and Java stack

Please provide error log files in case you  want to proceed with the troubleshooting .

Thanks ,

Manu

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Angus

I am not sure,From solution manager create the MOPZ for only Java stack,  then use the SUM tool upgrade the JAVA stack.

Regards

SS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Angus,

Please try to run SUM with the option "javaonly", to update the java stack as you mentioned that abap stack is already done.

./STARTUP javaonly

Warm Regards

Amit